FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moves on still images: FCP or AE?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Richardson
Moves on still images: FCP or AE?
on May 23, 2010 at 7:58:05 pm

Hi guys,

I am finishing up a project that has a number of pans and zooms on high res still images. These are all 2-D moves, not 3-D moves. I have created all of these in FCP. We are getting ready to finish the film for delivery to a very quality-focused broadcaster, and so I'm wondering if I need to recreate all these moves in After Effects instead of in FCP for optimum quality. The project is currently 720p but will be uprezzed to 1080 for delivery, so one advantage of recreating in AE is that we could do all these stills moves at 1080 and then bring them back into project after the uprez. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Peter

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Moves on still images: FCP or AE?
on May 23, 2010 at 8:59:52 pm

Peter,

What do your eyeballs tell you now? Are you monitoring on a real monitor?

Plus, there's no one answer for all, as all stills are different and every story has it's own demands. Perfect digital stills from a modern camera are one thing, vintage stills of history are completely different. I happen to think that vintage stills give more authenticity the more beat up they are, so there's no benefit to trying to make them perfect.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Peter Richardson
on May 23, 2010 at 9:06:40 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm monitoring on a Flanders Scientific 17" monitor at 720p. Looks fine on this monitor.

I guess I'm wondering whether there is any empirical reason or difference b/t creating the stills in AE or FCP. Our images are a combination of high res scans from photographs from the last 25 years, as well as files from a digital camera, so we're not going for a "historical" look.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 23, 2010 at 11:17:27 pm

Peter,

AE definitely does have a better scaling engine than FCP, however, by the time push comes to shove, that may simply not be noticeable to to anyone, ever. In a side by side you might notice a difference, but other than that probably not.

I would suggest that you create one sample in AE and then do a side by side on teh timeline with a wipe between them. I did that recently to show a client several color corrections and it ended up being a big time saver, because the information was transmitted so clearly and so effectively that there was just no dispute, no doubt, no room for argument.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Peter Richardson
on May 25, 2010 at 6:53:02 am

Thanks David. I'll give that a shot.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]