FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best 4TB Raid?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
trevor ambrose
Best 4TB Raid?
on May 23, 2010 at 6:21:51 pm

Hi guys,

I'm purchasing a FCP system for a series I'm editing. Any suggestions as to what the best 4TB Raid drive there is for the money?

Also, just to clarify...
If one drive within the raid goes down the other drives will rebuild the media...
that's the way raid drives work, is it?

Thanks for any advice dudes,
Trev.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: Best 4TB Raid?
on May 23, 2010 at 6:37:25 pm

[trevor ambrose] "Any suggestions as to what the best 4TB Raid drive there is for the money? "

Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. Just click on an of the banner ads on the Cow for reputable, reliable storage solutions from proven, trustworthy vendors including CalDigit, Dulce Systems and Maxx Digital.

My personal recommendation for best bang for the buck is the CalDigit HDElement:

http://www.caldigit.com/HDElement/

Some general truths:

-SAS or eSATA RAID products offer much higher performance than any Firewire 800 product.

-RAID arrays with dedicated hardware controllers are preferable to software-based RAIDs.

[trevor ambrose] "Also, just to clarify...
If one drive within the raid goes down the other drives will rebuild the media...
that's the way raid drives work, is it? "

Only if it's RAID 5. RAID 0 has no redundancy. You won't likely encounter RAID 3 or RAID 4 products anymore, and RAID 6 is most likely out of your price range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on May 23, 2010 at 6:52:58 pm

Wow, thanks for the extremely good advise and info. That's got to be one of the best replies I've ever gotten.
Thanks a lot!
Trevor Ambrose

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 24, 2010 at 1:55:23 am

Sonnett's r400 Qs are great too. Offers all kinds of connections with hardware raid5 built in to the enclosure.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 24, 2010 at 12:30:24 pm

I recommend Maxx Digital, Small Tree, Sonnet and Dulce as four excellent products. WeibeTech makes some sweet RAIDs as well. We run all Maxx Digital 8TB and 16TB RAIDs at the moment.

As Alan noted, redundancy is all in how you set up the RAID. RAID 0 gives you the most speed with complete data loss in the event of a failure. RAID 5 has redundancy at the cost of the loss of one drive. So your 4TB RAID might only have 3 or 3.5TB of actual storage space depending on how large the individual drives are. Our 8TB RAIDS have approx. 6.5TB of available space when they are empty as they are all set up in RAID 5.

And when purchasing a RAID, too many people don't think about Render Files. Render Files, Graphics, Audio Files, etc.... all take up room. If you're simply buying for what you think you need to digitize, you're going to come up short. Also remember that all RAIDs slow down as they fill up. So I always purchase much larger than I need to maintain overhead in the arrays. If I think I need 4TB for a project, I'll buy an 8TB RAID to ensure I don't run out of room and my array doesn't slow down too much.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on May 26, 2010 at 3:31:33 pm

Hey Walter,
I just wanted to thank you for your time and your excellent very detailed advise. It's very helpful.
Trevor Ambrose

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]