FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac G5 won't recognize external drives for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Frankford
Mac G5 won't recognize external drives for FCP
on May 21, 2010 at 5:28:27 pm

I posted a few weeks ago that my Lacie drive was corrupted. Disk Warrior didn't work but I did get a new Mercury Qx2 drive for my Final Cut Media. I was able to move my media from the damaged Lacie to the new drive and reformat the Lacie as a backup. Yesterday, however, my G5 (Leopard) gave me the red stop sign error message warning me that the Mercury was incorrectly disconnected (not true) and I may lose my media. Now it won't see either drive, despite my changing cables and connection ports. They don't show up on the desktop no matter how many times I reboot or recycle their power. Anyone ever seen this? Suggestions? Thanks, as always.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: Mac G5 won't recognize external drives for FCP
on May 21, 2010 at 6:02:07 pm

Does it show up in disk utility? Have you tried restarting the mac? Could do a pram reset (google it) and a disk utility permissions repair of ur macintosh HD then restart and try once more? If not perhpas see if you can access another computer and try it on that :s

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 21, 2010 at 6:44:19 pm

You should get you computer checked out. You may have a problem with the FireWire bus. This may be wahat caused the problem with your original drive.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 21, 2010 at 7:37:26 pm

It's not a FCP problem.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on May 24, 2010 at 5:30:32 pm

Hi, Thomas,

The drives don't show up in Disk Utility. I connected them to two other Macs and they didn't show up there, either. I then reconnected them to my computer and the Lacie showed up, but then I got the 'disk removal'warning again when I double-clicked to open the drive. The Mercury drive didn't show up at all again. I am sending both of them out today to a Mac repair place in my area. I don't understand why these drives are so fragile. This sort of thing seems to happen a lot.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on May 24, 2010 at 6:15:32 pm

Hmmm that definitely sounds
like ur hard drives rather than the mac... I normally recomment western digital- try have some cons but on the whole have always worked out a reliable option to me!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 25, 2010 at 4:45:15 am

If your firewire bus is messed up, it could be frying the bridge on the drives...get it checked out.

The drives themselves may be okay..it may only be the internal SATA to firewire bridge thats gone bad.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 25, 2010 at 4:35:36 pm

That sounds to me as problems with the HDs power supply.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]