FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV source footage freezing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Horsburgh
DV source footage freezing
on May 21, 2010 at 2:55:54 pm

Hi,

Im currently working on a edit for a client, captured a full tape of DV in one go so 2 hours of footage roughly 30gb. DV-PAL 25fps 720x576 are my clip settings and my sequence matches, for some reason when playing or scrubbing through the footage in the viewer or dragging it on to the time line and on the canvas the footage freezes, it can play acouple of seconds and then freezes and the spinning ball of death appears, if I wait long enough it usually catches up a few minutes later and then freezes again. I have tried trashing my prefs and changing the playback prefs to low quality still no joy, I can render out the files without any pauses though, so I guess the source video files are just too large for final cut? I worked on a project like this two weeks ago no problems, why issues now?

Any help would be amazing!

Cheers,

David.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: DV source footage freezing
on May 21, 2010 at 3:32:22 pm

Before blaming the file size or wasting time diagnosing the system, try trashing prefs and fixing permissions.

Also, how full is your media drive?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Horsburgh
on May 21, 2010 at 3:39:59 pm

prefs trashed, permissions fixed, still the same issues unfortunately, the drive is only a few months old, has over 300gb free on it, any ideas would be great :)

Cheers,

David.

Return to posts index

David Horsburgh
on May 21, 2010 at 4:22:51 pm

Issue resolved! I think it must of been a problem with file fragmetation or permissions or something but I have just copied my captured file over to a second drive and I get normal playback no issues. Thank you for responding so quickly to me!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 21, 2010 at 5:50:43 pm

Glad you fixed the issue and you're very welcome.

I'd be very suspect of the drive that was causing you issues. I would reformat it and test it thoroughly before putting it back in play.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]