FORUMS: list search recent posts

insane export times FCP Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Askew
insane export times FCP Compressor
on May 21, 2010 at 12:11:00 pm

Ive recently fresh installed snow leopard on a mac pro we have in the office, installed final cut etc. I'm trying to export a 10 minute DV clip to smaller H.264 and it's giving me times of 40 minutes.

I'm doing exactly the same thing on my macbook pro and it can do it in under a minute.

I've looked up q master settings as this is referred to a lot, but I can't find any actual guidance on what to do in terms of actual settings.

On Activity Monitor it's reading compressor as using over 200% CPU but the CPU itself is running at about 15%.

It's 2x 2.26 ghz quad-core intel xenon

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
Re: insane export times FCP Compressor
on May 21, 2010 at 12:11:58 pm

scratch what i said about the macbook export time, it's giving me the same time as the mac pro, which still doesn't seem right for the mac pro

thanks

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on May 21, 2010 at 12:13:14 pm

Sorry, i'm in a hurry so i've missed some details out, i've tried exporting using quicktime conversion and with compressor, similar times in both.

thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on May 21, 2010 at 2:12:46 pm

First guess is that the sequence contains items that require render on export. Motion projects on the timeline, for instance. If you export using QT conversion or Export Using Compressor, Final Cut renders all effects according to sequence settings. It can take a long time. A quicker way is to render everything first, then export a QT reference movie. Compress that to H.264 in Compressor. Use a quick cluster to speed it up.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 21, 2010 at 2:28:26 pm

If you export straight from the timeline...even if everything is rendered...using Send to Compressor... Everything gets re-rendered straight to the new codec...ignoring your renders in your timeline codec. This makes the encode cleaner, but takes much longer.

If you render everything and export a self contained or reference movie and bring that into Compressor by dragging it in, your renders ARE used and the encode will be much faster. This does not give you the best possible quality if you are starting with compressed source material, but often is good enough for most users.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]