FORUMS: list search recent posts

screen capture footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jessica shaughnessy
screen capture footage
on May 21, 2010 at 9:38:19 am

Hi,

I am hoping this is really straight forward and easily sorted but....

I am editing a marketing showreel for a client, which includes lots of photographs, video footage and one rogue bit of footage from a screen capturing software, capturing an animation from a website.

All of the clips I have imported to use are HDV 1280 x 720, except one, which is 1440 x 1080.
The sequence I am working on is set to 1440 x 1080. Pixel aspect ratio HD 1440 x 1080.

The output file needs to be1280 x 720, which I am running through Compressor.

The finished file looks great apart from the footage of the website. It doesn't look as sharp as everything else, which personally I think stands to reason with images from a website, but the client is insistent.

Is there anything I can do to make this footage clearer? Will changing my sequence setting to 1280 x 720 make a difference? The only thing is eveytime I do that, of course the edited clips distort and I haven't been able to work out how to fix that. Even when I start a brand new sequence and set it to 1280 720, the screen looks really thin.

Is there an answer?

Will

Return to posts index

jessica shaughnessy
Re: screen capture footage
on May 21, 2010 at 9:39:56 am

Oh and as an added extra, the web capture footage does look a little sharper before it goes into FCP and back out again. Is this to do with the sequence setting?

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on May 21, 2010 at 12:46:46 pm

If your delivery format is the same as your source format (1280x720) then why are editing on a 1440 x 1080 sequence?

In effect - you will be enlarging every clip to fit the timelines size and then compressing it down again at output...thats sure to cause a loss of quality.

You didnt state what format the screen capture was - its not just the size that will have an influence but the codec used to capture it, and also the codec used to export the final show.

Lots of variables here that could all adversely affect the quality.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

jessica shaughnessy
on May 21, 2010 at 2:09:50 pm

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response. I was editing in 1440 as there was one clip that was that size. So, though I realise it was silly now, I set the sequence to the larger one.

However, I have now changed to a 720 timeline, but I am still having problems. I have removed the larger clip and now all of my clips and images are 1280 x 720.

If I export directly from FCP using current setting, the web capture footage looks great but some of the photos look pixelated on certain edges (a woman's hat).

If I take the file into compressor and compress using h.264 set at 1280 x 720, pixel size square, everything else looks ok but the web capture footage is back to how it was. Also when I play it in quicktime player, the framsize is still 720x1280 butit says Current Size: 1248 x 702 pixels (Actual size).

Is there a better compression or codec I should be using?

Thanks

Return to posts index

jessica shaughnessy
on May 21, 2010 at 2:11:04 pm

Sorry, forgot to say the web capture footage was captured in h.264

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on May 21, 2010 at 3:05:27 pm

I don't know how you captured the web footage but H264 is a delivery format and is generally not recommended for editing.

What size was the web video to begin with?
How did you acquire it?
What are the specs of the H264 in QT?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]