FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitizing Material that was logged and transferred

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Stone
Digitizing Material that was logged and transferred
on May 19, 2010 at 3:24:16 pm

Hey guys,

Playing around with a project that I used XDCam transfer to import clips in. Now I'd like to Media Manage it and re-capture only used footage with handles, but I'd like to capture from teh XDCam deck like a tape capture. When I try to do this , it brings up the L&T window. Anyone have any idea on how to do this?
Thanks!

This is the one aqspect where Media100 Kicked FCP in the a&&, is trimming down to used footage and recapturing. Wish apple would get it together.

THANKS!

Bobby Stone
ATOMIC FILMS, INC.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Digitizing Material that was logged and transferred
on May 19, 2010 at 3:28:19 pm

WHy recapture? You have the media? Just subclip the parts you want, media manage that (COPY) into a new project, with handles. Done. No recapture needed.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on May 19, 2010 at 5:36:21 pm

I want to be able to re-capture everything at a later date should the client want revisions or updates a year from now. Surely there must be a way to just digitize or capture from the deck instead of using log and transfer. Also, because it's XDCam, the regular log and transfer window doesn't link up to the disk like it normally would if it were P2 or RED

Bobby Stone
ATOMIC FILMS, INC.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2010 at 7:47:43 pm

If I worked with XDCAM I'd have better information, but I haven't. If you have XDCAM on disk, why did you use LOG AND TRANSFER? That is meant for XDCAM from SxS cards...shot with the EX1 or EX3. TAPELESS. The disk is considered a tape, so it should have been brought in with Log and Capture. I dont' see how you can log and capture from a disk like that.

But I guess they used some Sony interface to do that?

If you want to do what you want to do, you need to use the proper steps. If you want to treat it like tape, then LOG AND CAPTURE from the disk and a deck.

Shane

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on May 19, 2010 at 7:53:54 pm

XDCam can work both ways. You can hook the deck up through firewire and treat it as a drive and using sony's software load footage. OR you can log and capture just like you were using a tape deck. Even though this program was captured using the former method, there must be a way of capturing it using the log and CAPTURE mode. I know at the least I can export an edl and re-import and capture that way. but I'm looking for a smoother method. IF I use the SONY log and transfer, I'll have to re-load the all of the entire footage, even footage that didn't end up in the edit, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Bobby Stone
ATOMIC FILMS, INC.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2010 at 2:21:07 am

Not sure about the XdCam workflow either, but with p2 and log and transfer, you can media manage to an offline project and relog and transfer just the final sequence with handles.

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on May 20, 2010 at 2:48:48 am

What I'm trying to find out is if there's a way to force fop to capture through the timecode off the deck like from a tape? What tells it that the clips were looged and transferred? And can that be changed?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2010 at 12:14:44 pm

I don't think so. That is buried deep in the project somewhere. Did you try the create offline feature of the media manager?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 20, 2010 at 1:45:57 pm

[Robert Stone] " IF I use the SONY log and transfer, I'll have to re-load the all of the entire footage, even footage that didn't end up in the edit, which is what I'm trying to avoid. "

Once you LOG AND TRANSFER, FCP now assumes the footage is tapeless. Because you told it so. You can't then try to recapture that via tape. FCP sees it as tapeless, and cannot change its mind.

So you have to choose a path before you start, tape or tapeless.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 21, 2010 at 4:25:30 am

Check it out:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1087822

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]