FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO 720p 23.98 fps sync problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Thy
DVCPRO 720p 23.98 fps sync problem
on May 19, 2010 at 10:06:39 am

I don't understand this...

I'm editing a concert and I got footage from 3 cameras.
First 2 are DVCPRO 720p60 23.98 fps, and third is Apple Pro Res 1080 25 fps (don't ask why different formats, I didn't get that answer).
Audio is recorded seperatelly.

And now here's a thing: I can't sync audio with 23.98 fps footage!
With 25fps is in sync but 23.98 it goes out of sync.

Can somebody help with this?

PowerMac 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
5GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
AJA Kona LHe
Apple Color 1.02

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: DVCPRO 720p 23.98 fps sync problem
on May 19, 2010 at 12:01:33 pm

Oh my dear,
this sounds bad news. If 25 is in sync I would say stick with 25 and stretch the rest slightly so you hit the 25. Try it, do a little math and look whether its in sync.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 19, 2010 at 2:44:00 pm

I won't ask why but you are trying to cut PAL and NTSC in the same timeline and this is just wrong. two completely different clock rates. you'll have to convert something to get it to the same Standard. either PAL or NTSC. What Standard or reference was the audio recorded with.
somebody messed up here.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Seth Thy
on May 20, 2010 at 7:26:05 am

Yeah, well the director messed up...

He told me that NTSC cams are main ones so I've first converted 25fps footage to 23.98. I made multiclip and than I got audio that was out of sync.
Now I probably need to convert 23.98 to 25 fps and edit like that.

But what's bugging me is that I don't understand WHY is audio out of sync when audio is recorded separately and directly from audio mixer?!
I'm in EU and I don't have much experience with NTSC but this just don't make sense...

Anyway, what you recommend for converting from 23.98 to 25 fps? Compressor or something else?

Tnx

Miro

PowerMac 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
5GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
AJA Kona LHe
Apple Color 1.02

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 20, 2010 at 2:47:50 pm

If you'll notice the 720P 23.98 is actually playing back at 59.94 inserting a pulldown in order for it to be monitored in NTSC.
Was the audio recorded with any sync,clock or TC info? If so what sync,clock or TC rate was used?

If there was nothing locking up the audio recording you may try re-importing it into the project once the project is set up in the Format of choice.

If this project is going to a post house for finishing you might want to touch base with them. You can transcode using compressor but the results may not be pleasing. Natress also makes plugins that do this.
http://www.nattress.com/

If it's going to be a high end finish you'll want a Snell& Wilcox hardware conversion.

determine what your audio is, what frame rate what clock rate and push picture to that

You've got yourself a real chore here. It's going to take time and money to fix.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]