FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering DVD Image After Project Is Put Through Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Hillary White
Stuttering DVD Image After Project Is Put Through Compressor
on May 19, 2010 at 12:05:54 am

Any idea why a perfectly fine project has a stuttering image when put through Compressor?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Stuttering DVD Image After Project Is Put Through Compressor
on May 19, 2010 at 12:32:30 am

I have lots of ideas, but why not tell us all about your sequence settings and compressor settings and how you are monitoring each step of the process so we can narrow the field to the most probable cause.

Return to posts index

Hillary White
on May 19, 2010 at 4:19:19 am

Well, the footage was ripped from a DVD via Handbrake and has commentary added to it (the only difference really). It ripped it into a 720 x 304 frame size, which I don't fully understand and haven't been able to rectify. It has been recommended that I pad the output image in Compressor because it is slightly stretched. I wonder if this problem has anything to do with the stuttering problem as well.

The original file is Quicktime .mov file.

Frame Rate: 29.97
Compressor: H.264
Data Rate: 485.1 K/Sec
Pixel Aspect: Square

In Compressor the settings chosen are Best Quality 150 minutes for DVD and the corresponding Dolby Sound setting (which doesn't have problems). I haven't tried a DVD with padding yet... but I have the feeling this is a compressor problem if anything.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 19, 2010 at 4:34:51 am

[Hillary White] "720 x 304"
Are you sure, if so that is totally wrong. It needs to be 720x480. Sounds like this is a 16:9 image and you ripped it to work as a square pixel 720. This needs to be re-ripped.

[Hillary White] "I wonder if this problem has anything to do with the stuttering problem as well. "
Very well can be, if your padding adds an odd line you will get a field order problem which is what you most likely have.

[Hillary White] "Frame Rate: 29.97
Compressor: H.264
Data Rate: 485.1 K/Sec
Pixel Aspect: Square "

That is wrong, you don't want this being saved as an H264 move and you don't want it to be square pixel.

Get Mpeg StreamClip (it is free) to rip the movie from the DVD. Set to export a QuickTime and I suggest using ProRes, 720x480 keep the video lower field.

[Hillary White] "In Compressor the settings chosen are Best Quality 150 minutes for DVD"
Is the video really 2-1/2 hours long, that is really highly compressed and this video is going through a lot so you want as high of a bit rate as you can get.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 19, 2010 at 6:01:05 am

[Hillary White] "the footage was ripped from a DVD via Handbrake"

Handbrake is absolute crap Hillary. If you search this forum you will only find problems associated with it. You should shoot the person who recommended it to you and then eviscerate them with a dull knife. When you're done with the payback get MPEG Streamclip as Michael suggested and get on with your work.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Hillary White
on May 19, 2010 at 3:01:43 pm

So MPEG Streamclip it is. However, whenever I try to open footage from the DVD it never works... and that's when Handbrake came into the picture. I used the "Open DVD" and "Open File" options in MPEG already. Even downloaded the program again to make sure there were no kinks. No dice.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 19, 2010 at 7:17:15 pm

The DVD is most likely copy protected then, and the stuttering you're seeing after Handbrake attempts to get around it is most likely the result.

MPEG Streamclip meanwhile, being a professional app, most likely recognizes the copy protection and refuses to try go around it, because: a) it knows it can't produce a good file; and, b) the company knows that circumventing copy protection can create huge legal hassles for its owners.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Hillary White
on May 19, 2010 at 7:19:50 pm

Interesting. Also good to know. Perhaps it is copy protected after all.

Thanks for all your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]