FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another Audio Drift Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arend Raifsnider
Another Audio Drift Problem
on May 18, 2010 at 11:48:39 pm

I realize there have probably been many postings of this sort, but none of what I've read seems to have helped me. I'm editing a 20 minute short I directed with the Panasonic HVX. I double checked with my DP and he said to work in 23.98, which is what I have been doing.

For some reason my OMF doesn't seem to match up when I test it in Logic alongside the audio from my QT. It's not that far off, but it seems to go off every once in a while and then catch back up. I'll hear what sounds like an echo and I can see that the waveforms are ever so slightly off at those points. Oddly enough, my sound guy (who works in Pro Tools) said this only seemed to happen recently, so I assume some setting got changed but I can't figure out which. I'm in FCP 6.0.4.

Bear in mind that I'm not a pro-editor, so please try to keep the technical jargon at a minimum. I really appreciate any help you all can provide. This is driving me insane.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Another Audio Drift Problem
on May 19, 2010 at 12:03:08 am

Firstly was all the audio in your timeline 48khz? If not then FCP converts it all to 48 during the OMF. It also converts as it makes the Qt file.

It might be that the OMF is sync perfect but the audio in the Qt file drifts. If you used defaults in quicktime conversion, it might have compressed the Qt audio as AAC 44.1khz which probably means that Logic is sample rate converting on fly.

Check the sample rate of the audio in the quicktime. I suspect it is the one that drifts, not the OMF. While you are checking the Qt file, check the frame rate. Again the default in Qt conversion is auto which may have set the frame rate incorrectly. Logic may be doing a heroic job of syncing the Qt file to perfect audio.

Finally, mute the Qt file and watch the OMF audio to picture. Is there any sync drift?

Return to posts index

Arend Raifsnider
Re: Another Audio Drift Problem
on May 19, 2010 at 12:24:27 am

Wow. Viewing the OMF with picture completely works. Now why is it that it wouldn't sync with the aiff from the picture?

Thank you so much. I thought I was having some major issues but I guess there isn't really a problem.

Best,
Arend

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]