FORUMS: list search recent posts

setting scratch disk with two locations

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Step
setting scratch disk with two locations
on May 18, 2010 at 7:38:11 pm

I just lost our RAID, and we're getting new towers and FCS upgrade, so for the meantime I asked my editors to set the scratch disk for media capture (video&audio) to point to the 2nd internal drive like so 2NDDRIVE/EDITORNAME/PROJECTNAME/MEDIA for easy moving later. But I only want them to have the media capture there. The renders etc should go to 2NDDRIVE/FINAL CUT DOCUMENTS/... to be dumped later. When I try to point the files in system settings, FCP will not let me separate the media and renders TO GO TO SEPARATE FOLDERS ON THE SAME DRIVE, with message "Unable to set as scratch disk. This disk is already set as scratch disk". When I select a different disk (external FW for example) it works fine and render files are pointed correctly. When I try to reset to 2NDDRIVE same message. Is this normal? Why could you not have two locations on same drive? Running 5.1.4

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: setting scratch disk with two locations
on May 18, 2010 at 10:14:54 pm

I think you are overthinking it.

If you set the scratch disk (with all options checked...capture, render, etc.) to the desired disk (just the disk..not specific folders!), FCP will automatically set up the necessary folders for Capture, Video Render, Audio Render, etc.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 18, 2010 at 10:22:52 pm

John has that exactly right. Just set to the root directory and let FCP handle the rest. Every new project named and saved automatically creates folders for everything using the project name, and they'll all be saved in the right place every time as if by magic.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Step
on May 18, 2010 at 10:34:06 pm

You both have a point in letting FCP just set up it's own folders. That is how we ran the RAID tho I did set the render files to go to the 2NDDRIVE, so as to keep only the captured media protected (you can always re-render, but it does take up a bit of space on the RAID, and noone ever deleted these till the drive was full). I thought this method would be easier when we migrate to new boxes (ie. backup the whole project folder, then move the media folders into FCDocs>CaptureScratch>ProjectName when we migrate.

So while your solution is certainly viable (and the system is currently set up that way), the theoretical question still stands...

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 19, 2010 at 3:04:17 pm

This is normal
you are trying to set the renders to go to the same drive they are already going to.
All you are trying to do is make final cut think like you do and It's saying No this is how I do it.
If you wanted the renders to a "separate" drive, different from the drive your captures are going to, you could do that.
Notice FCP is not asking you to set "Scratch Folders" but "Scratch Disks"

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Tom Step
on May 20, 2010 at 4:21:48 am

Doug, your last sentence is the giveaway. Should know better than to outthink the Apple engineers...

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]