FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Media manger> create offline changes original files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pradip Patil
Does Media manger> create offline changes original files?
on May 18, 2010 at 6:56:46 pm

Hi,
Need to recapture 60 min sequence using media manager. Just want to make sure that the create offline method leaves the original project intact, i.e. No sequence and media files are tampered. If anything goes wrong, can I go to original project for reference?

Also, the final sequence has some nested sequences in it. Is that a problem?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Does Media manger> create offline changes original files?
on May 18, 2010 at 7:00:18 pm

The create offline process creates a new project, leaving all of your original work in tact.

[Pradip Patil] "Is that a problem?"

Best to add the clips separately to the end of your sequence and then rebuild the nest in your online just to be sure.

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on May 18, 2010 at 7:14:54 pm

Thanks.. actually the project has all the shots as nested sequence. I have asked a doubt regarding EDLs and nested sequences earlier.

But each nested sequence has been assigned a reel number and timecode. So shouldn't it work on recapture?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2010 at 7:16:08 pm

[Pradip Patil] "But each nested sequence has been assigned a reel number and timecode. So shouldn't it work on recapture? "

Your mileage may vary. I'd expect issues. you can try it, it won't hurt your orig project/media.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2010 at 7:34:00 pm

[Pradip Patil] "But each nested sequence has been assigned a reel number and timecode. So shouldn't it work on recapture?"

Wait, what?

You created a nest, and then assigned the nest a reel number? And different TC? That makes no sense to me. What will it match back to?

If you are offline cutting, then media managing to online, you should have ZERO nests.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on May 18, 2010 at 8:00:03 pm

Shane, as I posted in my other thread about EDL and nested sequence, each take was created as a subclip of a sequence.

Heres' the quick recap

Capture each tape
Put it on a timeline
Sync the audio
Create subclip of each take (These appear as nested sequence)
Modify the subclip TC and REEL No to that on the tape.

I hope now it makes sense.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 18, 2010 at 8:13:40 pm

You can do this, but it is an extremely poor workflow in FCP. Subclipping sequences should never be done. If you want to edit from a sequence, edit the content of the sequence, not the sequence itself. You really need to restructure your program before you run it through Media Manager.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2010 at 10:51:37 pm

That's not the way to do things. You if you have secondary audio that you need to marry to the clips, you use the MERGE CLIPS option.

The way you describe is just asking for trouble. Nested sequences and EDLs are never reliable.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]