FORUMS: list search recent posts

5DMKII Pro Res Footage, RT Extreme dropping frames "slow disks"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elissa Bogos
5DMKII Pro Res Footage, RT Extreme dropping frames "slow disks"
on May 18, 2010 at 9:55:32 am

Hi!

I am shooting with a Canon 5DMKII. Initially, I shot in SD, but I recently began shooting in HD. I followed the same process to convert the MKII's unworkable H264 footage into Pro Res footage, which I then import into Final Cut Pro 6.0. When I did this with the SD footage, I didn't have many problems, but now the file size of each Pro Res clip is huge (for example, 152 MB to 2 GB!)

I can't really do anything in FCP, as every moment I get a message that says "RT Extreme has determined these dropped frames were caused by slow disks."

Some info about my operating system:
I'm using a Macbook with OS X, version 10.5.8
Final Cut Pro Academic Version 6.0
All the media is connected to an external drive (but not a Firewire 800 HD.) It is connected to a 300GB My Passport drive.
I have 15.97 GB free on my Macbook (out of a capacity of 148 GB)

Does anyone know what's going on?

The biggest difficulty right now is I'm living abroad in a country where it is hard to find technical help for these things. So I am relying solely on the advice of the wise on the internet. I would really appreciate your help! I have a big documentary project and am stuck as to why I'm having these difficulties.

Thank you very much!!!
Elissa

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: 5DMKII Pro Res Footage, RT Extreme dropping frames "slow disks"
on May 18, 2010 at 12:28:25 pm

The error message is telling you that the drive isn't fast enough... it likely isn't. You need something like a CalDigit or iStorage Pro 2 drive array.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Elissa Bogos
on May 18, 2010 at 12:39:35 pm

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your quick response. Purchasing an external drive like iStorage 2 would be the best option? is this better than purchasing a new, faster computer? I wonder if there are Macs designed to work better with HD footage.

Thank you!!
Elissa

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Alva
on May 18, 2010 at 1:07:58 pm

I believe a lacie HD is a good option too if your budget is limited, As I understand any HD that runs at 7200 rpm's and works with Firewire 400/800 should be good. At least to get out of the woods.

Rodrigo

Return to posts index

Elissa Bogos
on May 18, 2010 at 1:18:19 pm

Hi Rodrigo,
Thank you for your response. I will look into the Lacie HD. Do you know, though, if that can work with a Macbook? I have a USB port, but I don't know if that's the same as the firewire port? is the firewire port the smaller port next to the USB ? How would I find out if this is 400 or 800?
thank you!!!
Elissa

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 18, 2010 at 5:23:00 pm

[Elissa Bogos] "Do you know, though, if that can work with a Macbook? I have a USB port, but I don't know if that's the same as the firewire port?"

You need at least a MacBook Pro with FW 800 to work efficiently with ProRes.

USB is not an option.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Elissa Bogos
on May 18, 2010 at 6:26:37 pm

Hi Steve, Thanks for your response. You guys have all been so helpful.

Well, that probably answers it best--I should upgrade to a MacBook Pro because this Macbook does not have a firewire port at all.

It's such a relief to know there are people out there who can help with really specific questions. Thank you all. :)

Life is worth living.
http://www.vimeo.com/user2792832

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 18, 2010 at 11:08:04 pm

I personally would look strongly at Pro gear instead of LaCie's offerings...

LaCie doesn't guarantee the same drive from enclosure to enclosure they've told me. After all they don't make them. They market primarily to the consumer end of the world.

So in reality, you've no idea what you're actually buying from them. Just search this forum on "LaCie"... They can be just fine mind you, but they aren't as reliable overall as those with qualified drives in them. This does matter ya know?

I've personally had 4 failures almost simultaineously on with them.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 18, 2010 at 1:13:05 pm

The faster the machine, the faster it renders, but your immediate problem is stemming from hard drives that just can't keep up...

Jerry

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Alva
on May 18, 2010 at 2:40:51 pm

I will say grab your macbook (I hope macbookpro?) get to the store and check which jacks do you have on it. Is hard with mac laptops to say what it is, changes with each generation, model,etc.

Hope this helps, I've been stuck myself for a while with a laptop that wasnt exactly what I need it and now im stuck with an Imac that isn't either what I would like to have but lets me work on my Videographer to be projects.

By the way, Jerry I love your signature.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 18, 2010 at 5:41:21 pm

Thanks, I do love skiing... Hey, I arguably have the finest on the planet here in Colorado.

Return to posts index

Elissa Bogos
on May 18, 2010 at 6:28:10 pm

Rodrigo,
thank you again--I have only a Macbook, which is perhaps where the issue lies.
When I bought the computer two years ago, I was mainly shooting photographs but I think a Macbook pro would be a lot better for video?

Life is worth living.

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Alva
on May 18, 2010 at 6:52:56 pm

Elissa,

Indeed, a Macbook Pro will make your life a lot easier for this matter. Consider an external HD anyways, you will probably run out of space fast, that will down the performance of the computer.

And as Steve say if you go that way, be sure you get a laptop with a firewire 400/800 connector.

Lightroom will run nicer too! (I'm guessing you are using it for the photography?)

Hope I'm being helpfull..

Rodrigo Alva

(With no signature yet, although I do like skiing too!)

Return to posts index

Elissa Bogos
on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:49:47 pm

Thank you, Rodrigo. That was the issue and the Macbook Pro solved it!
:)

Life is worth living.

Return to posts index

Sonia Gonzalez-Martinez
on Mar 24, 2011 at 7:43:20 pm

Having the same annoying RT Extreme interruptions on a brand new Mac Pro. I'm running nothing else but FCP when this happens. Same deal with the footage, Canon 5D transcoded into Pro Res files. Editing off of 5 G-Raid drives. Well into a cut and can't transfer to another more powerful drive. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime. If I see that spinning beach ball again, I will scream.

Also, for future projects since everyone's shooting HD, what are the best drives to get that can deal with these huge HD Pro Res files?

Thanks!

Sonia Gonzalez-Martinez
Editor, LaSone Studios

Computer Specs:
Mac Pro
OS 10.6.7
Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Mar 26, 2011 at 3:22:06 pm

Daisy chaining FW drives works OK to a point with ProRes... but a RAID setup with 4 or more drives would run circles around single FireWire drives. I like those sold by CalDigit, iStorage Pro, or G-Technology for the "middle priced" arrays. There are faster setups out there, but they get pretty pricey.

You might consider if you really need ProRes 422 or HQ and take look at the LT variety of ProRes. The files are a lot smaller, and are broadcast quality. Not good for sports or other fast action, but for talking heads and general B-Roll? Great.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]