FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice: Next step up from a Xeon, Quad Core, 2.66 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Chaney
Advice: Next step up from a Xeon, Quad Core, 2.66 ?
on May 18, 2010 at 3:38:45 am

I've been driving a Xeon, 2x Dual Core, 266GHz, with a decent video card since 2006-2007, I think.

I'm buying a second computer and wonder if there's anything better than this, yet still not an 8 core?

Would a newer Nehalen (sp?) processor or ? processor deliver anything noticeably better?
Would 3.0 GHz be noticeable?

Of course... what does "noticeable" mean... but, you know, something that makes me say, "Boy, that extra X hundred dollars was sure worth it."

Thanks!!
-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Advice: Next step up from a Xeon, Quad Core, 2.66 ?
on May 18, 2010 at 4:01:25 am

If FCP doesn't go 64 bit and use octo cores during the useful life of your next computer, I will eat my hat. Either that or I will be looking hard at CS5.

I would buy at least an octo core. I recently bought the 2.9 Nehalem octo with 16 gigs of RAM and it flies. I use Qmaster in Compressor so I am using multi cores there and it kicks Compressor along nicely.

There is talk of 12 and 16 core machines being available in a few months so the price of Octo Nehalems will come down.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 18, 2010 at 11:03:26 am

I 'll go with Michael,

if you can wait, let's say 6 weeks, the new 12 core should hit the market. Rumors say by June. The advice of an apple operator, asking the question of waiting was to wait. He put me on a waiting list.
CS5 is definitely a strong production package. Avid is far too expensive and still doesn't want to work with third party options. At the moment I tend to stick with FCP Studio and see, where the next step of Apple is heading. It might be, that we all meet in the Adobe forum and talking about Premiere and After effects.

There is a lot of hot stuff in my statement.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 18, 2010 at 12:01:50 pm

I have six cores CPUs on the PC side already and have to say they are sweet. It will be nice to have them on the Mac side as well.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 18, 2010 at 1:09:08 pm

Nice to hear Dennis, I'm a bit jealous. Apple is behind, hope they hurry up. Steve Jobs is more into IPhone and IPAD than anything else.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on May 18, 2010 at 2:14:50 pm

I don't think the delay of the new Mac Pro has anything to do with iPhone/iPad development. Those are totally separate engineering teams.

I think Jobs has his usual ace up his sleeve and is simply waiting for the perfect time to play it. When he finally does, I think he'll announce new 12- and 16-core Mac Pros and spring the surprise that ALL the pro apps have been rewritten to use all those processors.

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on May 18, 2010 at 3:35:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'll sit tight until July. How could it be possible for Apple to hand Premiere the lead? It's not a niche market...

-R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 18, 2010 at 6:33:43 pm

So Ralph,

we are at least two waiting for the new machines to hit the market. At the moment it seems, that Premiere ia about to take the lead, because it's the strongest package with Photoshop, After effects and Cinema 4D. I'm working for the soccer premier league in Germany and 6 months ago they've equipped all professional bradcasting with FCP. So, I agree it is not a niche market. They didn't take Avid. What bothers me is, that apple has given up Xraid. Xsan is no good. We've got a lot of problems with Xsan. When you work with FCP the raids are almost as important than the program itself. I don't think the new 12 or 16 core machines solve this problem.

take care outside

Rainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]