FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD and SD conflict

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adolfo Tertuliano
HD and SD conflict
on May 17, 2010 at 7:55:35 pm

Hello.

I'm working on a video project, and as I sit down to edit I find myself in big trouble. For the project, I myself shot a few clips at 720p,30 (actually 29.97, according to QT). I then got some footage some other guy shot, but he shot it at 1080p, 24 (actually 23.976, according to QT). To make things worse, a graphics artist did an intro for the video and gave me a 720x480 at 23.976fps, 16:9 clip. Since this is a last-minute project I picked up, my deadline is in two days. I just sat down to edit and I have this huge timeline conflict in front of me.

The final output of the project is for DVD. My first thought was to edit everything in a 720p, 30 timeline and then down res to SD the final edit so that I can burn it to DVD at 29.97fps. Of course now I have no idea what to do or how to handle the mixed footage.

I'm recently started working with HD, so my knowledge is very limited in this matter. My questions are:

What timeline should I work on?

How should I handle the 1080, 23.976 footage? Can I use Compressor or Cinema Tools to conform or convert? If so, convert to what?

Should I also conform or convert the NTSC footage to 29.97 using Compressor or Cinematools?

Again, my knowledge is limited, so I ask of you to please give a detailed guide as to how to proceed to edit and then down res to DVD at 29.97.

I'm on a Mac and the tools I have at hand are the goodies that come with FCS II.

Thank you in advance.

Sony PMW-EX1
Apple Final Cut Studio

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: HD and SD conflict
on May 17, 2010 at 8:10:50 pm

It's not that bad.
Pick 720p or 1080p to edit in. Run the clips of the other thru compressor to conform or cross-rez to the chosen format.
Edit in HD
Can the grfx person re-submit the opener in HD? Tell them ur editing in HD.

Compress final HD file to DVD NTSC.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Adolfo Tertuliano
on May 17, 2010 at 9:48:43 pm

Thank you so much for your prompt response, Chris. I decided to edit in a 720p timeline. I started converting the 1080, 24p clips to 720p, 30 in Compressor. I then imported the first converted clips to FCP. The first thing I noticed was the clips had the green line (real-time preview) on top of them. I hit the render option and when that was done, the playback of the footage seemed a bit fast and it just looks bad.

The way I converted the files was by choosing the same preset as the 720p, 30 clips (XDCAM EX 720p30), and then selecting a 29.97 frame rate.

Any thoughts?

Regarding the opener, I spoke with the grfx guy when the client gave me the project (someone else started the project and then quit). He is not willing to re-render the clip unless he gets double pay. Since my client paid him for the opener, they don't want to pay again. So, I'm pretty much stuck with this footage.

Thanks again.

Sony PMW-EX1
Apple Final Cut Studio

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on May 18, 2010 at 6:42:19 pm

Personally, since your deliverable is DVD, 720x480, I would edit at that size and at 29.97. Your 720p30p footage will convert nicely. For the 1080p material, convert with Compressor to 720x480 @ 29.97. The best way would be to add in pulldown using AE or something like it but since you don't have it, Compressor can do I decent job of this.

Also, since your graphics are 16:9 SD at 720x480 you'll have to convert to 29.97 using Compressor as well. FCP will not add in the correct pull down.

Another way to handle this is to take your HD materials and drop then into a 720p59.94 sequence. Your 30p material will have a duplicate frame every other frame and the 1080 material should have the correct 2:3 pulldown added as well. Then export & downconvert that 59.94 sequence to SD 29.97 and edit into an SD sequence. You'll still have to convert graphics to 29.97 but this might be the best option.

I'd convert everything to ProRes too.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]