FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting HDV Still Images - Aspect Ration Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rene Bogovic
Exporting HDV Still Images - Aspect Ration Issues
on May 16, 2010 at 11:19:36 pm

I am desperately trying to export still images with the correct aspect ratio 16:9 but no matter what still image format I export them as, I am not able to get it right, the still images always turn out stretched (faces and objects in the frame are vertically elongated).

I am using Final Cut Express 4.0.1

My source footage is HDV 1080i60 1440x1080, and I am using the HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60.

These are the steps I am taking:

I make a freeze frame from my footage.

I then export the freeze frame using QuickTime conversion, and export it as a still image.

I have tried all the possible options that are given to me (jpeg, pct, etc.) but none seems to get me a final output with the correct aspect ratio.

So far, what I have been doing to correct for the aspect ratio is to use applications like Gimp, but the process is extremely time consuming and I am losing a lot of resolution quality.

How can I export still images with the correct aspect ratio (16:9) directly from Final Cut?

Please Help Me!

Thank You!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Exporting HDV Still Images - Aspect Ration Issues
on May 17, 2010 at 12:57:11 am

Unless the timeline sequence is converted to 1920 x 1080, the stills export will reflect the sequence settings of 1440 x 1080. This is normal anamorphic squeeze, typical of the HDV format.

If you export as a tiff it will be uncompressed so then converting in GIMP or photoshop to 1920 x 1080 jpeg won't affect resolution. I don't know if it is possible to batch convert the aspect correction, but it should be possible to find software that can.

Return to posts index

John Ford
on May 17, 2010 at 3:33:40 am

Download DV KITCHEN.

http://www.dvcreators.net/dv-kitchen

Its has a thing called time freezer.

Just export your images as movie and you can take pictures of freeze frames..

I just downloaded it yesterday to try it and its killer.. Same aspect ratio, same size exactly, You can even de interlace frames if needed.. PLUS it comes with a load of other stuff..

It3 the demo , to buy it is 79 USD, but you can use it for 19 days..

I have tried exporting stills from FCP, not worth the head pain, better export then picture it with this//

Hope it helps..

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 17, 2010 at 11:44:26 am

If you open a anamorphic still in PhotoShop you have to choose view image and select widescreen to display the pixels properly.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]