FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-IO HD question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Natteau
FCP-IO HD question
on May 15, 2010 at 12:01:41 am

I'm using IO HD to upconvert some old WWII footage. But the majority of my footage was logged years ago from DV-NTSC 480i tapes.

To save myself the hours of time it would take to reimport all the footage from the dozens of tapes and upconvert on capture, is it ok to select "Export Quicktime movie" in FCP with the AJA IO HD 720p59.94 setting? Or is this no better than dropping a 480i clip into a 720p FCP timeline?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

- Nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP-IO HD question
on May 15, 2010 at 2:04:44 am

That is no better than just using the clip in that setting on the timeline. The IO HD won't come into play when you do this either. It only works on video signals passed thru the box.

If it is already captured then your best bet would be Compressor. But wait until the show is locked, so you only convert what you use

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nicholas Natteau
on May 15, 2010 at 3:27:33 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks again for your help. Just wondering if you could shed some light on this. Having upconverted from 480i to 720p59.94 with IO HD, I noticed that when I dropped my upconverted 720p clip into my blank FCP timeline, the timeline has 59.94 as an editing timebase. I thought 59.94 referred to fields per second not frames per second. Yet it seems IO HD doubled the number of frames as it upconverted from 480i to 720p. Is this normal? I see there is no 720p30 as an upconversion option, nor a 1080p24, only 720p59.94 and 1080i29.97

I called AJA Tech Support about it and they believe FCP is reading the clip incorrectly. But yet when I open the upconverted 720p clip with Quicktime, under movie properties, it also lists FPS as "59.94".

Just interested to know what you thought about this. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 15, 2010 at 4:20:45 am

[Nicholas Natteau] "I dropped my upconverted 720p clip into my blank FCP timeline, the timeline has 59.94 as an editing timebase. I thought 59.94 referred to fields per second not frames per second. "

Ahh...THIS great confusion. 720p 59.94 is FRAMES per second. 1080i 59.94 is FIELDS per second. "p" stands for PROGRESSIVE, and so the number that follows means FRAMES. "i" means INTERLACED, so the number that follows is FIELDS per second. STUPID? Yes. It should be 1080i 29.97...ALWAYS be the frame rate.

And 720p is a 59.94...60fps format. Always has been.

[Nicholas Natteau] "Yet it seems IO HD doubled the number of frames as it upconverted from 480i to 720p. Is this normal?"

Yes. 29.97, 30fps to 59.94, 60fps.

Shane

Return to posts index

Nicholas Natteau
on May 15, 2010 at 2:07:42 pm

Thank you very much Shane for taking the time to explain that to me.

I find that if I select 1080i as an upconvert option, my upconverted footage looks a lot more interlaced than the original 480i footage. Is this normal? Is it because I am blowing up my footage 225% when going from 480i to 1080i? (as opposed to upscaling only 150% when going from 480i to 720p).

To eliminate the interlacing, is it acceptable to throw an FCP de-interlace filter onto the upconverted 1080i footage? Or would you advise against it?

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

- Nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 15, 2010 at 2:35:18 pm

[Nicholas Natteau] "I find that if I select 1080i as an upconvert option, my upconverted footage looks a lot more interlaced than the original 480i footage. Is this normal?"

How can something look MORE interlaced? Did you use Compressor? ProRes 422 for Interlaced? You need to put all the FRAME settings on best. This means that it will take a LONG time. Which is why I say do this AFTER you lock the show.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]