FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to go from Beta to MPEG 2 and keep Closed Caption

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt McHenry
Need to go from Beta to MPEG 2 and keep Closed Caption
on May 14, 2010 at 11:12:10 pm

So, ultimately I would like to capture footage from Beta SP that has closed captioning and export a final product of an MPEG 2 file with the closed captioning intact. Not sure if this will ultimately work with the workflow I would like to use, but it would be nice not to have to spend more money on an hardware encoder.

This could probably span a few of the forums here on the Cow but figured I would start here first. Here is the workflow that I would like to use:
> Beta SP tape with closed caption
> component cables
> AJA IO
> Firewire cable
> Mac Pro & FCP 7.0.2 to capture uncompressed or ProRes Quicktime file
> Telestream Episode to transcode Quicktime to MPEG 2 with CC info

I'm wondering if the AJA IO might be an issue and if an internal card would be better. Also, if there are any other software encoders that could do this. Looked around and Episode looks pretty good.

I'm currently in talks with Telestream to find out if this is even possible, but figured I would try here too.

Any thought would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Need to go from Beta to MPEG 2 and keep Closed Caption
on May 15, 2010 at 12:47:39 am

[Matt McHenry] "> Telestream Episode to transcode Quicktime to MPEG 2 with CC info "

That's the problem. When you encode, you blow away the CC. What you need is MacCaption. This software will preserve the CC by copying it from the captured file, then allow you to add it back to the compressed one when you are done.

Contact the guys at MacCaption to discuss how to do this.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on May 15, 2010 at 1:14:24 am

Hey Shane!
Anyway, Matt, you can use MacCaption to get your CC info. However, if you want to get CC encoded on your MPEG2, it will not happen without higher end software, and better yet hardware encoders. This is the current plight of digital delivery with MPEG2 and CC...If you don't want to spend more money, forget Episode - forget everything. Retaining CC while encoding MPEG2 takes very expensive solutions. I've been over these solutions with CPC, Telestream, Digital Rapids (which we currently use), Amberfin, EVERYONE....If you don't want to make a big investment for this service, you should call our facility - we can do this for you at a reasonable cost. If not, expect to spend some dough for a very niche workflow. CC and file delivery are very complicated to say the least.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 15, 2010 at 1:58:27 am

Thanks Chad. I had no idea.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt McHenry
on May 17, 2010 at 5:46:18 pm

Thanks for the info Shane and Chad.
I have looked into MacCaption, but it would be nice not to have an extra step by stripping the CC out then re-inserting it.

Chad, I do agree that the whole CC and file delivery issue is very complicated. I've followed this issue off and on for a few years now but have yet to come up with an inexpensive solution. But now that I possibly have a project that requires MPEG2 with CC I needed to dig into the issue.

I know hardware is definitely the best way to go and I've actually looked into a few of the Digital Rapids boards. But, of course, it would be nice to use my existing hardware, especially if I need to use more than one machine. I knew I would probably be spending money on a solution, it would just be nice not to spend too much. So I'm guessing for software it could be something like FlipFactory, which I haven't looked in yet, or some other high end encoding software.

Matt

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on May 21, 2010 at 12:24:22 am

Matt,
Either commit $5000 to $25000 for doing this on your own or call us.
We can do the encoding for you and ftp the MPEG2's to you. This is one of the many things we do that save our clients big headaches and big money.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]