FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proper setup to do 444 RGB in Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Lehnert
Proper setup to do 444 RGB in Final Cut
on May 14, 2010 at 10:54:13 pm

What is the proper setup on a Final Cut 7 system with a Kona 3 card to capture 444 RGB video from an HDCAMSR?

I am having issues playing back the video. There is a brightness shift when I try and playback the footage. I captured the video on an Intel Mac through dual-link. I have tried using the Dual Link RGB Kona format and ProRes 4444. My playback is 1080@23psf 10bit out of Final Cut. I notice there are gamma settings in the Kona panel. Everything is set to Auto in the Kona panel.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
Re: Proper setup to do 444 RGB in Final Cut
on May 15, 2010 at 11:17:09 am

Seems to me that it's the old quicktime gamma bug with RGB footage. If you capture ProRes 444 I would advise you to duplicate the Kona setup, change the setting in the advance button where it says gamma correction to "none".

What it does is it tells FCP that your captured file has a RGB gamma 2.22, which, I assume, is the tape gamma. If you don't do it QT will think the file is 1.8 and it will apply a gamma correction in FCP, causing the gamma shift.

Do a test and see if it helps, that basically solved all my issues with gamma shifts in FCP. I have not captured files as Uncompressed since the release of the ProRes, but if you need to, trying changing the setting in the User preferences>Editing tab where it says "Imported Stills/RGB Video gamma" to 2.22.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]