FORUMS: list search recent posts

Master to tape from FCP - Any advice please

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John White
Master to tape from FCP - Any advice please
on May 13, 2010 at 12:57:43 pm

Hello everyone. Any help would be much appreciated - this thing is driving me nuts.

I shoot Sony EX1 and I'm trying to master from MBP onto HDV or DVcam via firewire onto a Sony HVR M15 deck, but it won't happen, I've tried it all. Can someone PLEASE guide me as to ...

Import settings
Seq settings
Seq render codec
Edit to tape, or print to tape
Firewire settings
View settings
A/V devices settings
A/V settings & Device control settings

This is for two reasons : I need to master my finished programme to tape, and (old fashioned I know) though I do leave the material on the drive, I quite like to back up all my footage to tape also (I guess I just don't trust HDD tec too much)

I normally shoot from EX1 onto the SXS cards at PAL SQ 1080 50i.
Then after importing from the cards into the MBP, I'll back them up to DV tape going from the camera via firewire into the deck - all works fine.

I'll then do the edit and ftp it to the client (or DVD)

Recently I've started shooting at HQ 1080 25P - which at 35mg, I can't commit to tape at all from the camera, meaning I've no media back up of the tapes I then need to erase.

Sorry to go on but I'm going in circles

Thanks in advance

John

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Master to tape from FCP - Any advice please
on May 13, 2010 at 5:45:46 pm

You need this plugin for starters: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-a...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

John White
on May 13, 2010 at 5:58:51 pm

Thanks Jerry - that's a new one ...

Is that what I really need ? I already have Log and transfer, and all the SXS browsers etc, and I don't have a problem importing the footage - it's at the other end, after the edit where I come unstuck

John

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 13, 2010 at 6:54:02 pm

HQ 1080 25P Well you can't lay that out to DVCAM SD
Some HDV decks you cannot master to.
Are you going Firewire from the mac to the HDV deck?
Are you using Edit to tape? Then dragging your sequence onto the edit to tape window - assemble edit? Setting in point TC?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

John White
on May 13, 2010 at 7:16:54 pm

But I can go 1080 25P to HDV can't I ?

Yes I am going firewire from the mbp to the deck - I can use the deck to master because previously I'd dump all my SQ 50i footage via firewire from the camera, though I think that was to DVcam.

Is Edit to tape my easiest option ? (what's the difference with Print to video ?) I have had a degree of success with Print to video, but the output monitor displayed a horribly squashed and distorted image

With Edit to tape, to be honest I'm uncertain of the myriad of settings (see my first post) that need to be correct, but I've gone firewire into the deck, and video out into the monitor where I can see the decks on screen display , but no pic.

I know I'm not far away from sorting this - it's bound to be one stupid thing (probably me...)

Thanks Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 13, 2010 at 10:45:52 pm

Print to video will work too.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]