FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Cinema Tools has trouble detecting correct cadence?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Russell
Why Cinema Tools has trouble detecting correct cadence?
on May 13, 2010 at 9:36:10 am

I don't see people complaining about this, but I have had trouble with this for years. Here we go again...

I have 63 clips (uncompressed 10bit SD) of standard 3:2 telecine 16mm. Batch remove pulldown, either from FCP or directly in Cinema Tools (4.5 currently) -- more than half of the clips come out wrong! But if I use "Guess 3:2 Pulldown" in After Effects, it gets it right every time (so far). But of course, using AE on 63 clips (and more to come) to detect, place in comp, render new clip, then replace in FCP is not a practical workflow. Why would I be having this trouble? It is across systems for me. Any advice welcome.

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
Re: Why Cinema Tools has trouble detecting correct cadence?
on May 13, 2010 at 10:05:21 am

Okay, I see reverse telecine in Compressor seems to detect correctly on a bunch of clips, hopefully for all. Still a bigger process to match in FCP than CT would be if it worked correctly, but better prospect than AE.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 13, 2010 at 3:20:59 pm

Yup, I'll bet doing it all in FCP's a lot easier than it is in AE.

Unless, of course, you're simply exporting one clip at a time in AE, which would be a REAL time-waster. You should use AE's Render Queue. Batch processing, y'know....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on May 13, 2010 at 3:31:38 pm

How did you get the clips, off tape or as files from the telecine facility? If you got a tape did you capture using the telecine log (flx or ale file)? I have found that reverse telecine works best when the clip you want to capture starts on an A-frame.

-------------------------
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super
-------------------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 13, 2010 at 3:41:33 pm

The problem with Cinema Tools is that it doesn't guess, it just goes off of the first frame selected. You need to set the A frame appropriately and rev telecine, or, you can use the reverse telecine option in Compressor and it will do it automagically. You will be transcoding the file, but if working uncompressed, this shouldn't be an issue.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on May 13, 2010 at 9:51:10 pm

>>How did you get the clips, off tape or as files from the telecine facility? If you got a tape did you capture using the telecine log (flx or ale file)? I have found that reverse telecine works best when the clip you want to capture starts on an A-frame.<<

Nope, no flex files, I don't think they exist. The material was telecined to Beta-SP about eight years ago, used to build a documentary now on a sequence with media given to me, that I am converting to true 24p. So it is sounding like my best shot is to use Compressor first then manually relink each film clip in the whole film to the reversed media. Ugh.

"THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA" -

And more...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]