FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080 P2 files from FCP 7 into DV proxies for FC HD 4.5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Penson
1080 P2 files from FCP 7 into DV proxies for FC HD 4.5
on May 13, 2010 at 2:29:43 am

Hello out there,

I shot a project for a client on P2 in 1080 only to later find out that their editing system is Final Cut HD 4.5. I transcoded the files on my Final Cut system but what the client wants to do is for me to make proxy files for them to edit on their system.

I went through the whole shebang; recompressed them in media manager using the DV compressor to create the proxy files. I don't have access to 4.5, so what I need to know is if their system is going to be able to read the proxy files I give them, timecode and all.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 1080 P2 files from FCP 7 into DV proxies for FC HD 4.5
on May 13, 2010 at 3:12:35 am

You may have problems with the older version of quicktime in FCP 4.5. The biggest difference was audio. Some time early in Version 5, quicktime went to multi channel audio.

Older quicktime versions seemed to only be able to read audio channel one, even if there were four channels. That may be a big issue. Otherwise, DV codec should be solid.

Surely the cost of transcoding files would have paid for an upgrade to their FCP. When I see this sort of false economy, I know that further down the line there will be other issues like Media Management, online reconnect etc. It is really dumb to do this sort of workflow when the cost of an upgrade is a fraction of the time that will be spent and hopefully paid for working around old software.

Return to posts index

William Penson
on May 13, 2010 at 3:34:02 am

My thanks to you as well as my full agreement.

Fact is, that sounds exactly like the conversation I had with the client when he showed me his G4 with Final Cut 4.5.

Luckily, they're not using the audio. So, I should be. golden there.

I'm sending the files to media manager now. Just making sure the lack of P2 handling wouldn't be an issue and making sure the client could have timecode. The two major issues.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 13, 2010 at 1:16:57 pm

ProxyMill from Imagine Products. Bill the client.!!!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]