FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Capture "Unable to Locate Timecode"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Koerner
HDV Capture "Unable to Locate Timecode"
on May 12, 2010 at 3:55:17 pm

I'm running Final Cut 6.0.6 on a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac, and I'm trying to capture logged HDV 1080i60 footage from a Sony HVR-M15U HDV Deck.

When I attempt to Batch Capture footage from any of 6 different tapes, Final Cut reports that it is 'Unable to Locate Timecode'. It seeks until it is near the in-point (almost always about 5-8 seconds after the in-point), then it moves slowly forwards and backwards at a crawl, never actually getting close to the in-point.

Capture Preset: HDV
Device Control Preset: Sony HDV Firewire

It demonstrates this same behavior no matter what clip is selected (there are about 80 per tape), and it does this whether or not the clip in questions is near any time code breaks. There are no other firewire devices connected to the computer. I have tried the following steps to correct:

• Trashed Final Cut Pro Preferences
  • Restarted the computer
  • Powered off the drive and reconnected
  • Ran a tape head cleaner
  • Checked & Unchecked 'Create New Clip on Start/Stop'
  • Tried all potentially applicable 'Easy Setups'
  • Tried every possible combination of Capture & Device Control Presets (that made any kind of sense)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: HDV Capture "Unable to Locate Timecode"
on May 12, 2010 at 5:09:55 pm

Might be that your preroll is too short. Increase to 5-6 seconds and see if that works.
S

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on May 12, 2010 at 5:13:15 pm

This error occurs when the camera that shot the tapes isn't setup properly. If you own the camera, do this.

Go into the Menu settings, find the area on timecode and set you camera to either DF or NDF, not Auto. The default for Sony HDV camcorders is to have the timecode set to Auto. This creates lots of confusion for Final Cut Pro.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Hunter Koerner
on May 12, 2010 at 6:41:56 pm

Never let it be said that Wayne Carey is not a hero.

We don't have the camera this project was shot on; and in fact the offline edit was done on an avid system. That's when the project made its way to us and we Automatic Ducked it into FCP.

After reading your post, I went ahead and did all of the resets mentioned above, but created a new preset that was NDF. It worked, and now we're off to the races.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on May 12, 2010 at 9:54:06 pm

Glad it worked! Good Job!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Ken Hebert
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:02:33 pm

I'm curious, did you get the batch capture to work properly in the end? I have the same problem, the cameras were all set to AUTO and the capture tool is having a very hard time finding the right TC. I switched my preset to HDV Firewire NDF and that at least gets MOST of the clips to recapture properly, but it's not entirely reliable. I was just wondering if I should settle for this and accept the situation. I have access to the camera the footage was recorded on, and that too seems to be a little better than the HVR-M15U.

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on May 12, 2010 at 6:42:25 pm

Should only capture using HDV capture preset using the M15U deck - not HDV Pro RES. Also be sure deck is set for HDV not DV down convert. Use Sony Firewire control protocol. And if all that fails, use Capture NOW and abandon batch capture.

FCP 7
MAC 8 core
BlackMagic Studio Pro
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]