FORUMS: list search recent posts

PS3 TO FCP capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pete kidd
PS3 TO FCP capture
on May 12, 2010 at 10:01:34 am

Has anyone captured from a PS3 in a 'live' situation? I have a job where I need to capture some game footage as it is played directly from the PS3, I'm presuming a Firewire connection. What I need to know is do you treat it like any Live capture? any tips for settings etc?
I don't have a FCP set up at home and I don't want to go into the studio next week looking like a newbie!

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: PS3 TO FCP capture
on May 12, 2010 at 2:59:16 pm

First - let me make it clear I have never tried this - so this is speculation.

There is no firewire connection on a PS3 - so I'm not sure how you think you can capture via it.

You could try an HDMI output from the PS3, into an HDMI capture box like the Intensity, or IO express. HOWEVER, as the HMDI output on a PS3 has HDCP copy protection on it (the scourge of the modern world - DRM hardware) I would expect some problems, like no signal. Not sure about games, but I'm pretty sure a movie would not play back via HDMI to a non-HDCP compliant device.

If you want to be sure of capturing video from a game, the most guaranteed option would be to use a FCP with an analogue capture card, and capture component video and analogue audio via a component video cable (available from all good retailers). At least that would avoid any HDMI compliance issues.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
Re: PS3 TO FCP capture
on May 12, 2010 at 5:34:17 pm

HDMI is a no go, unfortunately. You'll have to get a capture card and use component for video.

For audio, it depends on what kind of equipment you are gonna using. If you have the right decoders you can use the optical out, or you can just use stereo from the RCA cables.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]