FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video playback (to begin with)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Sepulveda
Video playback (to begin with)
on May 11, 2010 at 9:39:38 pm

Hi everybody,

This is my first post, I hope I can explain my situation clearly. I left my editing career in 2005, but since february I am back to a new position, new company, new everything and an inherited suite. I have tried to catch up but there is a lot to learn.(there were not so many blogs in 2005)

I am the new editor for a University. I will be editing half hour courses that are going to be aired in its PBS-afilliated station. It is a fairly new department created in the past year, where I am the most technically knowledgeable person outside of the station, where they are not that efficient anyway.

All the equipment was already here when I arrived.

I have a Mac Pro connected via Firewire to a AJSD93P. It only has the firewire connection plus the video/audio monitor-which I connected to a CT-S1390Y(yes 10 years old!) that only has a 2 BNC inputs and 2 Svideo inputs.

The computer also has installed an AJA Kona LHe but it is not connected to the KL Box because the cable was lost before I got here(don't ask me). I have connected a small Peavey PV6 mixer and speakers to the KL box, with cables that they bought at my request(at least they buy what I ask).

Up until now I have "survived". I can digitize via firewire but have not tried to output yet, in part because my first deadline is like two months away, but quickly lurking in the corner.

I am working "blindly" because I don't have playback to the monitor; the image is all distorted. This is my biggest concern at the moment.

What am I missing? I know the situation is ugly but please put me out of my misery. I also know that I must be missing a lot of important details, I just don't know which ones.

If you guys can help me, I'll put this editing suite up to professional standards. Thank you.

SnowLeopard10.6.3/2x3GHzQuad-CoreIntelXeon/8GBMemory/FCP6.0.6/AJ-SD93/AJAKonaLH(not completely installed)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Video playback (to begin with)
on May 11, 2010 at 10:03:56 pm

Sounds to me like more than anything, you need to call AJA and order either the breakout cable or the cable that goes to the breakout box, or both. And, you need a component or SDI monitor.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Luis Sepulveda
Re: Video playback (to begin with)
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:23:21 pm

Sorry for not posting earlier.

Thanks for your reply.

It's been a while now, and an employee from the university found the breakout cable stashed up in room somewhere. Also, I ordered a Flander Scientific monitor and the AJ-YA93P panel for the AJ-SD93 and connected all of them.

It's only now that I notice that I should have also ordered the SDI panel for the AJ-SD93. But for now I have to work with component.

The monitor is connected to the SDI output of the Aja LHe, aside from that everything else is analog.

I disconnected the Breakout box and went directly to the VTR to input and output video.

My audio setup is a bit confusing. I have a small mixer that has input from both the built-in line output of the MacPro and from the SDI output of the monitor.

My audio playback from FCP sounds better from the built-in output than from the loop through the monitor that is activated when the Aja has audio playback activated inside the A/V Settings in FCP.

For now I'm paying attention to the better audio.

Should I do this or am I missing something?

SnowLeopard 10.6.3
2x3GHzQuad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB Memory
Two 24" Cinema Displays
Two 1TB/One 500GB GRaid
FCP 6.0.6
AJ-SD93
AJAKonaLH
Peavey PV6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved