FORUMS: list search recent posts

questions on editing a film

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Che Patterson
questions on editing a film
on May 11, 2010 at 5:47:56 pm

OK folks...bear with me. I've been editing with Final Cut Pro off and on for years, but I've never taken on a project of this magnitude. I've edited some music videos and short features. I'm now about to start editing a feature film I shot a couple months ago on a couple of Canon 7Ds. I've got an older MacbookPro (2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM) and Final Cut 5. I definitely want to edit in 1080, but my laptop just isn't up to the task. So I've got a couple questions:

1. What kind of system do I need to edit this footage without too many headaches? My MacbookPro is getting kinda old, and converting footage to ProRes takes FOREVER, and even in Final Cut I can't do too much without constant rendering. Will one of the newer iMacs do the trick? That's pretty much what's in my budget right now, but I need to know if the experts here think that's going to be enough horsepower, or do I need to spring for a MacPro tower? Is there any other hardware or software that might make my life easier?

2. Since I'm going to have to convert all this footage to ProRes and that's going to take a pretty massive amount of storage space (500 GB of compressed 7D footage), does anyone have any suggestions on workflow and how to keep everything organized? Any advice here would help.\

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: questions on editing a film
on May 11, 2010 at 7:28:14 pm

First upgrade your FCP. FCP 7 has a feature called Log and Transfer. That will transcode your 7D footage to ProRes.

A Mac Pro with a lot of RAM will keep your production flowing.

Do a search on workflow.

Shane Ross a great DVD on organization.
http://store.creativecow.net/p/63/getting_organized_in_final_cut_pro

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]