FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Z1U to Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Estrada
Sony Z1U to Final Cut Pro
on May 10, 2010 at 10:30:03 pm

I'm attending film School in South Florida and I will be shooting my first short with a Sony Z1U (1080i) and editing in Final Cut Pro (fairly updated version).
The 24p look being the holy grail of filmmaking, I am researching whether to shoot in the 24p CineFrame mode available in the Z1U (which I am told will not lead to a good end result) or rather in 60i and later convert to 24p using software.
Those that have used either the FX1 or Z1U, what do you recommend? Other than slowing down pans to avoid an artificial and jumpy look, is the END RESULT better using “native” CineFrame 24fps or 60i/SW-Conversion?
If the latter, is Final Cut Pro going to do it or should I use a 3rd party tool. I read of a free tool called JES DeInterlacer. Any tool suggestions?
Thanks beforehand.
-Daniel

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Sony Z1U to Final Cut Pro
on May 10, 2010 at 11:05:51 pm

"The 24p look being the holy grail of filmmaking"

You have a lot to learn...

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 10, 2010 at 11:16:11 pm

If you want 24p - shoot 24p - don't convert via software.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on May 11, 2010 at 2:40:59 pm

Chris,

The Sony Z1U does not shoot 24p. But it does shot what's called Cineframe 24 which is a software converted 24p. Honestly, it looks like crap to me.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Tom Dempsey
on May 10, 2010 at 11:54:57 pm

robbie has a lot to learn about being helpful without sounding condescending.

tomd

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on May 11, 2010 at 12:37:02 am

Sorry Tom. And sorry to you too Dan. That was arrogant. I just get frustrated when people get overly psyched about 24p.

Dan, learning video is hard enough. Don't make it harder by getting hung up on how to properly work with 24p. 24p certainly has it's place, but it's not necessary when you're learning about video. If you want your video to truly stand out, learn how to tell a story. People will not judge your video based on your frame rate. When was the last time you heard someone say, "oh this sucks, it's not 24p." Most people can't even tell the difference.

While a good story will keep your viewer interested, strong lighting will make you look like a pro. If you know how to light, it doesn't matter what you're shooting with. You image will look great and people WILL notice.

A good story with strong lighting combined with, well, even basic shooting, will put you way ahead of others your going to school with. Good luck

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 11, 2010 at 1:07:11 am

Shoot your 1080i, then use Nattress Film filters to get your 24P look. It's the 24 fps you want, it's the loo, of the 24fps. Nattress gives you the best of both worlds.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Wayne Carey
on May 11, 2010 at 2:45:48 pm

I agree with Kevin on this...

BUT.... if you don't have that filter or the school will not allow you to use that filter on you edit station, then... you could theoretically shoot in 25i and use a little know tool in the Tools menu called "Conform 25 to 24". This should give you what you want.

My best advice to ANYONE starting a new project with a new workflow is to try a test first and see if it works for you. If so, good luck!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Estrada
on May 11, 2010 at 4:04:57 am

Hi Rob,
No worries, man. Thanks for your insight.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 11, 2010 at 3:17:38 pm

[Daniel Estrada] "I'm attending film School in South Florida and I will be shooting my first short with a Sony Z1U (1080i) and editing in Final Cut Pro (fairly updated version)... I am researching whether to shoot in the 24p CineFrame mode available in the Z1U... or rather in 60i and later convert to 24p using software. "

Amazing. You'd think a film school would provide students with camera that could shoot at a film frame rate. The very lack of such a fundamental tool suggests a name for the school... something like, "Bubba's Academy Of The Cinema and Gator Burger Heaven". It is, after all, in South Florida.

I hope the tuition's cheap, at least.

I'm with most everyone else: forget about achieving 24p and concentrate on telling a story in pictures. You'll have sufficient challenges right there to last quite a few semesters.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]