FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor preset for 8 channel XDCAM HD 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wheelwright
Compressor preset for 8 channel XDCAM HD 422
on May 10, 2010 at 9:37:08 pm

I am trying to use Compressor to create XDCAM HD 422 files that have the same characteristics as those coming from the XDCAM Transfer Tool. It looks like Compressor will not handle multiple audio channels unless they are encoded.
If I pull up the file in Quicktime I get the following:
24-bit Integer (Little Endian), Mono, 48.000 kHz

If I could get the above setup down to quad stereo that would also work. Is what I'm trying to do even possible with Compressor?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Compressor preset for 8 channel XDCAM HD 422
on May 11, 2010 at 2:33:19 pm

How is the audio file format different from what the tool is showing you?

Also, why do you need to even do this? (I'm curious)

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Matt Wheelwright
on May 11, 2010 at 2:50:31 pm

We are producing the XDCAM files to playout of a broadcast video server. While some of the files will have surround audio on audio channels 1-6, some files will simply have multiple stereo pairs containing english, spanish, and portuguese content.

From Final Cut I can set the sequence and output multiple stereo pairs but it does not seem to be possible from within Compressor. The reason for using compressor is to use the distributed compression capabilities. We have custom presets for our content that editors select to get the right formatting.

Does that help?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 11, 2010 at 4:07:41 pm

Oh, I see, but still don't understand the difference between what Compressor produces and the format that XDCAM records (and you need to replicate). I understand the format you've posted, but how is that different from the original XDCAM audio's format?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Matt Wheelwright
on May 11, 2010 at 4:22:21 pm

Sorry, let me try to explain a little better.

In the XDCAM files, the audio channels are all discrete. All 8 channels are separate and show up as in my original post when viewed with quicktime.

In compressor, I can chose many options including stereo but I don't see any options that yield the same discrete channel output. There are options for 8.0, and Octagonal but the resulting audio format shows up in quicktime as just that: 8.0 or Octagonal as opposed to the 8 discrete channels we are looking for.

Return to posts index

Adam Pardy
on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:07:29 pm

Have you had any luck in solving this. Iam having the same problem, even when I select audio pass through it looks at the files and automatically selects 3.1, when I infact have stereo pairsin the fcp project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]