FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Finding Auto Clipping Throughout Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Seitz
Auto Finding Auto Clipping Throughout Timeline
on May 9, 2010 at 4:09:10 pm

Does anyone know if there's a shortcut where Final Cut Pro auto corrects or automatically locates any areas of the time line where the audio clips/goes over the broadcast safe meter??

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Auto Finding Auto Clipping Throughout Timeline
on May 9, 2010 at 6:04:47 pm

What is this? People opposed to actually WORKING anymore? This is something you are PAID to do...find these things and fix them. But no, everyone wants a magic plugin that instantly makes their video or audio perfect for broadcast.

There is the NORMALIZE option in Soundtrack Pro...but that just makes things uniform. Really, you should go through the show, monitor the audio levels, and when one gets too high, lower it. There is hardware that Pro Audio mixers use to clamp down the audio into the range for broadcast...a broadcast safe limiter. But that is a few grand. Just like the legalizer for video is.

Although I see advertised here a software broadcast safe video option... WHo knows, there might be an audio one.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

cow
Evan Seitz
on May 9, 2010 at 6:15:48 pm

I don't think you understand why people are drawn to post production. It's not that they enjoy adjusting audio levels and making everything broadcast safe - it's because they love the creative freedom that comes along with it. It's almost a necessary evil of the trade - and has nothing to do with being lazy or unprofessional, just being EFFICIENT.

If there was a way to work around this (and there very well could be), and you still want to waste your employer's time with such a tedious task as watching an audio meter for an entire hour of a documentary (or more) that any burger flipper at McDonalds could do, than be my guest. But your completely missing the point of the craft - and as well, coming off quite lazy as well for not looking for a more efficient solution.

If anything, a shortcut to auto-find any unsafe audio levels would minimize the tedious nature of the edit and allow the editor further time to do what they're REALLY getting paid for - creating an engaging experience for the audience.

I might have taken your post the wrong way, but I found it incredibly rude - and thus I responded as one who was slightly offended by your intolerable behavior. If you didn't mean it that way, you might want change the way you come across next time.

Return to posts index

Ari Feldman
on May 9, 2010 at 7:30:33 pm

The only thing I know of is this: go to the Mark menu, Audio Peaks, and select Mark. FCP will analyze the sequence and put a sequence marker anywhere the audio is clipping.

It doesn't actually fix anything, just shows you where the problems are.
I haven't used it much, so I can't speak to its accuracy. Maybe someone who has used it a bunch can chime in...

Happy Mother's Day everyone!!!

Ari Feldman
Editor/Assistant Editor
Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Evan Seitz
on May 10, 2010 at 1:32:27 am

Thanks Ari - that's exactly what I was looking for :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2010 at 8:51:28 pm

Editing is an art and a craft. It isn't ONLY making the right editing decisions, it is also about the technical side of things. And editing is VERY technical, especially if you are delivering to a network for airing. There are a LOT of things that need to be technically right in order for this to work.

Now, if you want to only be an artist...to only be the "offline editor"...then there is a way to do that. You become a link in a production chain. Capture by an assistant (or by you), creative editing by you, then final audio mix by a professional and online (including color correction) by a professional, and output by the same online editor or someone similarly skilled.

If you want to be a one man band, and you are working on something that isn't going to wind up on the web or a DVD you give friends...if this will be destined for broadcast TV or feature film out or DVD that you sell...then you need to learn all the technical aspects to the process...including monitoring and fixing audio levels. If not, then your project will be substandard compared to one that was done with someone with technical proficiency.

Artists don't just grab paints and begin painting. They need to know about how certain paints react to certain surfaces, like paper, canvas, wood, metal. What kind of paints to use, what works best with what, how to paint on certain surfaces to that they will last. Architects don't just design buildings, they also need to know the process of building and all the technical aspects of that.

There are MANY offline editors out there. I know dozens. Nothing wrong with that, but know that if you insist on just being the artist, that if you want the project to pass technical muster, you'll have to either learn it, or hire someone who knows what to do .

There are no plugins that you drop onto your projects to just make them suddenly broadcast ready. There are a few to take it that last little bit, but nothing to just drop and go. And it is best to get it as close as possibly, like finding the areas that are peaking, and lower them manually...then use a plugin (if one exists), to take it that final few db.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]