FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Guevarra
Reconnecting Media
on May 7, 2010 at 8:51:55 pm

Hi all,

So I'm having a huge problem that I'm sure lots of people have ran into and (hopefully) have the solution to solving...

I recently just duplicated all my media source files (about 290 hours of footage) from a number of hard drives to another a bigger 3TB HD for the purpose of having multiple editors working on the film at the same time.

I've already spent a number of months working on a cut that the new editors can add to once they jump on board. But here's the problem:

I'm using Final Cut 5 (never upgraded and definitely won't in the middle of this project) and once I tried to RECONNECT the duplicate files from the new 3TB HD, onto the same FCP project file (a test copy of it) that has all the cuts I've been working on, this message pops up:

"Some attributes of one or more of the files you have chosen do not match the attributes of the original. This may cause problems within the sequences that are dependent on them. The attributes that differed are as follows:

- Media Start and End"

Upon successfully reconnecting the media, this scary message pops up:

"One or more files did not have enough media to reconnect some clips. Some edited clip items have had their out point adjusted."

After which, I go into the timeline to see if anything has adjusted and there definitely has been a HUGE, noticeable difference in the project. I'm talking about 10 sec gaps, multiple repeating video clips, audio echoing.

So my question to all you fine editors and troubleshooters out there is obvious.

1)Is there anyway to solve this problem so that I'm still able to have multiple editors that can connect and reconnect their media and have all our cuts safe?

2) How do I avoid this for future reference.

Thanks a bunch for your time.

-Chris

Thanks,
Chris Guevarra
massmovementtv.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: Reconnecting Media
on May 8, 2010 at 2:51:40 am

Chris,

Typically, the error's you're describing come from "misnaming" or "mistakenly connecting" the wrong file to a a clip. If you have a pile of "untitled- 1" clips, it's quite easy to select the wrong one.

Without seeing your specific project it's tough to know exactly what's causing your problems, but I'm willing to bet that this is a case of "incorrect connections".

Finally, your version of FCP (5) is OLDER THAN DIRT! There's a reason there have been two full versions up updates since then. Media management is just one of the many features that have been improved significantly in later versions. Pony up for a current version and I think you'll notice the difference immediately.

Mark

Return to posts index

Leon Stuparich
on Jan 23, 2011 at 3:36:11 pm

Hi all,

I too have had this same problem. I am however running FCP 7.0.3 and the media file name is correct.

In fact the media file that is the issue was created by FCP when it consolidated my sequence with media manager.

Even more confusing is that when I manually connect the file that - the one created by FCP - is a second longer.

And with the extra second it is still telling me that the file did not have enough media.

Somewhere FCP is getting confused when it creates this new media.

I've had this problem on other edits since V5 and it's scary. Why does FCP have the facility to adjust your edits on the timeline?

Return to posts index

Tony 456
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:11:28 pm

Hi Chris - I was wondering if you have resolved this issue as we have had the same problem? Would appreciate your comments. Thanks. Tony.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]