FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Won't Capture HDV?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Zernec
FCP Won't Capture HDV?
on May 7, 2010 at 11:54:58 am

Hey guys,

I have a project that was shot entirely in HDV, miniDV tape. I have tried and tried and I cannot get FCP to recognize either of the devices I've attempted to capture from. I have tried the camera itself (don't remember which model, it was borrowed, but I will find out), and I've tried a Sony HVU-M15AU. The ONLY way FCP will capture from either device is with the Apple Intermediate Codec, which I've been told reduces quality. I can't seem to capture straight HDV, no matter what I try.

I'm working with a 15" Macbook Pro, in FCP 5. I've tried turning off the downconvert option on the HVU, and the iLink, no help. I've tried every Easy Setup, and every other setting I can see. Nada. Can anyone help?

I've been thinking about getting a FCP 7 upgrade, would this help??

On a whim I tried capturing with Adobe Premiere, and everything went fine. Go figure.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: FCP Won't Capture HDV?
on May 7, 2010 at 12:31:23 pm

I believe FCP 5 only captures HDV as Apple Intermediate codec. FCP 6 & 7 will do straight HDV, but you don't want HDV anyway. 6 & 7 allow you to capture as Apple Prores and that's what you want. Don't worry about HQ...regular Prores is perfect. Do a search on the workflow. You really need to upgrade. If and when you do, wipe your drive and start from scratch with a full fresh install.

Hope that helps!

Tony Brittan
Apple Certified Pro - FCP
islandshoreproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Zernec
on May 7, 2010 at 1:28:56 pm

Thank you, that helps tremendously! I was hoping to avoiding spending money on the upgrade right now, but I suppose its time anyway. I will give it a shot, thank you!

Return to posts index

Ted Ryan
on May 7, 2010 at 2:13:59 pm

If you do end up getting FCP 6 or 7 - capture HDV-Apple Pro Res.

However, definitely do NOT CAPTURE Apple Pro Res "HQ" unless you have a capture card.

Pro Res HQ via FireWire crashes your system, gives you corrupt clips, and capturing hell.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 7, 2010 at 4:02:15 pm

You can capture HDV with final cut pro 5. it was the first version that supported it.

Return to posts index

Ryan Zernec
on May 7, 2010 at 6:54:43 pm

I'm on FCP 5, and I can't get it to recognize or capture from either device that I've tried. If there's a trick to it I'd love to know, because I've tried everything I can think of.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on May 8, 2010 at 7:36:34 am

Was that version 5 or 5.1 that worked with HDV?
Tom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]