FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch Drive Has mind of its own...?!?!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Evans
Scratch Drive Has mind of its own...?!?!
on May 6, 2010 at 8:08:13 pm

Hey guys.

So ive posted numerous questions about final cut, and WHY it keeps crashing on me randomly...also, how it seems that the scratch drive doesnt work sometimes, and others it does. I was told "these things happen because these drives have a mind of their own.."

WHAT THE HECK!

I need help knowing what the problem is/what causes it/and obviously HOW TO FIX IT!!!

Basically, im editing a video, and literally everytime I try and open it up it says "File O/R Error" or something like that.

Then, the ODD time it will work! YAY! Only for a bit though, until it crashes again.

Ugh.

BY THE WAY...

I Have,
- a macbook pro
- using a WD 120 GB hard drive for my scratch...its a little older
- final cut pro 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Scratch Drive Has mind of its own...?!?!
on May 6, 2010 at 8:50:52 pm

[Christopher Evans] "how it seems that the scratch drive doesnt work sometimes, and others it does. I was told "these things happen because these drives have a mind of their own.." "

WHo told you that? Bad advice. If you want things to work right, you need a good solid drive. WD drives are fine for backup, but NOT for video editing. G-Tech, Caldigit, iStorage Pro, MaxxDigital...companies with good reputations and who make drives SPECIFICALLY for editing and video.

Use that WD as your Time Machine or something, and get a good drive for editing. Drives don't just do this on their own...not if they are good.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
Re: Scratch Drive Has mind of its own...?!?!
on May 7, 2010 at 1:12:03 am

YEP the Western Digital drives absolutely suck for editing anything. Sometimes they will mount on booting up and sometimes they just sit there. I have two of them here and we used them for about 4 days before becoming so frustrated that we gave up. If you are looking for a firewire drive that is fairly7 economical we have had great luck with Maxtor One Touch Plus4. Less than $150 at Fry's for a Terabyte.

FCP 7
MAC 8 core
BlackMagic Studio Pro
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]