FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exported Sequence Is Too Bright

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Hronopoulos
Exported Sequence Is Too Bright
on May 6, 2010 at 8:01:37 pm

Hey Guys. Could use some help, please.

I'm trying to export my sequence from FCP (version 6.0.6) and what's happening is that the exported .mov file (via "export quicktime movie) appears brighter than the sequence within final cut.

My FCP seems to do this with various projects I have, and I'm not sure what to do in order to keep the integrity of the color corrected image that I have been working on within the project (note: the image brightens regardless if it was color corrected or not).

I'm hoping to make a dvd and it seems that any setting I try and export with messes with the brightness.

My DVD guy says he's never seen anything like this.

Can anyone please shed light on this most frustrating issue please.

Thank You.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Exported Sequence Is Too Bright
on May 6, 2010 at 9:52:29 pm

There's only one thing that typically causes issues like this Nicholas, and that would be that you're color correcting to a monitor that is improperly calibrated.

Why don't you explain to us how you established the present setup on your monitor and perhaps we can help you do it a better way.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Hronopoulos
on May 7, 2010 at 12:12:46 am

Hello.

Thank you for the response.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself correctly or fully enough. Apologies.

I'm using an iMac, and do not have a display monitor, so everything is relative on to itself. Any color adjustments were done within FCP.

What I've discovered:

The original camera footage appears to be brighter than when I bring it into FCP.

I basically created a new project, brought in a clip and compared it, via the canvas, to the original clip via quicktime.

Something in final cut is making the color darker, lets say. Or perhaps something in quicktime?

So, is there a display setting in FCP that I'm unaware of? Does this sound familiar?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 7, 2010 at 4:15:56 am

[Nicholas Hronopoulos] "I'm using an iMac, and do not have a display monitor,"

That's really most of your answer right there. Without a monitor that's capable of accurately displaying your footage in the proper color space, you just don't know what it really looks like. Most likely, your footage is a little bright to begin with.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Nicholas Hronopoulos
on May 7, 2010 at 6:57:51 pm

I still think I'm not explaining myself correctly. Here is perhaps a more clear way to explain via an experiment I just made:

Shot footage on Sony XD Cam. All digital. The material lives on my internal hardrive on my iMac.

When I bring bring the footage into final cut (no processing labs, no printers, no video transfer) the footage immediately looks darker.

If I compare what I see in the canvas of said clip in FCP with the same original clip on my internal drive through quicktime, there is a difference.

In theory there should be no difference between the two in this particular setup.

Here is an image outside FCP:

Here is an image inside FCP:

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Christopher Jarvis
on Jun 19, 2010 at 6:11:49 pm

I'm having this same issue, will let you know if I find a fix.

Return to posts index

dillon novak
on Jul 11, 2010 at 12:58:35 am

Same thing here......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]