FORUMS: list search recent posts

colour correction tips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
miriam donohue
colour correction tips
on May 6, 2010 at 11:35:52 am

hey there

im an editing newbie,and a friend asked me to edit his short film (which is goin in for a competition, so needs to look good) a leap of faith on his behalf considering ive only edited 3 shorts so far.

so im working on this one minute short,the original footage was shot with a soft filter of some sort, resulting in quite milky shots with a reddish tone. so i have to get a lot more contrast goin on, im also finding it tricky to get the different shots to blend in colour wise together, any tips on where to start wud be really appreciated,

thanking u all for u time in advance!!

mir

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: colour correction tips
on May 6, 2010 at 5:35:30 pm

Color correction requires training and a good bit of time to develop the concepts and techniques. A great way to get startEd is by watching Rich Harington's free tutorials right here on The Cow. However, I would suggest that you go beyond that and get one of the more comprehensive training DVDs that are on the market for the long term.

BTW, "milky" almost means that blacks need to be crushed to "0". Use the 3-way CC filter and do fix that right off the bat. In fact, that's typically the place to start with all color corrections.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on May 6, 2010 at 7:28:49 pm

Also speak to the DP who shot it. Perhaps the look is what he was after, and your attempts to help him out, will change the look of the film to something he was not intending.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 6, 2010 at 7:59:48 pm

[Peter Mackay] "Also speak to the DP who shot it. Perhaps the look is what he was after, and your attempts to help him out, will change the look of the film to something he was not intending."

Excellent point Peter!!!

FYI, Peter is a world-class DP who knows quite a lot about this subject, and I hope he shares more with us here in the future.

Thank you Peter!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

miriam donohue
on May 6, 2010 at 8:14:20 pm

great thanks to all for the advice so far,

"Also speak to the DP who shot it. Perhaps the look is what he was after, and your attempts to help him out, will change the look of the film to something he was not intending."

as regards to look, the director has firmly said he wants high contrast, strong blacks and to lose the "milky" look, so thats why i asked about that, good point to remember for future projects tho.

will report back with how im gettin on!

kind regards
mir

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]