Importing jpegs into fcp File Error Message

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Win Edson
Importing jpegs into fcp File Error Message
on May 6, 2010 at 10:23:25 am

Hi Everyone,

When I try and import a jpeg (rgb 8 bit 300 dpi) I get the following message

(!) File Error: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown.

I've searched the forum and haven't found a definitive answer. (I've also tried trashing my preferences to no avail)

I'm working in a news environment and we've just switched to FCP. Everyday, we used hundreds of jpegs from image libraries such as Getty, so the option of resaving the files as a tif or targa would add a tremendous amount of time, not to mention inefficiency and aggravation, to our lives.

Any reason fcp wouldn't accept what I consider to be a normal high res jpeg?

Thanks

Win

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Importing jpegs into fcp File Error Message
on May 6, 2010 at 12:40:06 pm

JPG files most certainly work in FCP, so you evidently have some issue with your own system that's causing this problem.

In a news environment I would advise that you have a perfectly clean working clone of your system drive on a FireWire drive standing by at all times for any eventuality such as this one.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on May 6, 2010 at 2:37:31 pm

Is it on an accessible media drive? Is it extremely large-check manual for max size limit? Are you sure it's not CMYK?

Return to posts index

Win Edson
on May 6, 2010 at 3:00:48 pm

Thanks for the responses...

Is it on an accessible media drive? No, it's on my computer desktop

Is it extremely large-check manual for max size limit? No, the jpeg is only 900k. I can resave it as a .psd file, making it 10mb, and that opens fine. (Again, this isn't an option as we get hundreds of jpegs everyday so I'm trying to solve the problem outright)

Are you sure it's not CMYK? positive!

Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on May 6, 2010 at 3:15:43 pm

You've exhausted my ideas for now. Your answers point to something about the particular JPEG format or file that is causing the incompatibility. Maybe one of those tricky file header mixups that happen from time to time, especially between Macs and PCs.

Try opening the jpeg in Apple Preview and simply save (still as a JPG) with a new name and see if that opens. You could set up an automated process to do that on hundreds of files very quickly. Preview is often a good fixer.

Return to posts index

Win Edson
on May 6, 2010 at 3:41:03 pm

Thanks for that Tom.

I believe I've found the problem. Not really to do with jpeg file format. We've discovered that certain jpegs we receive are saved with the Sharing & Permissions set to 'No Access' to everyone (except to our own computer) These jpegs do not import into fcp. Other jpegs we receive from other sources do not have this setting and can be imported to fcp.

So in the end, it looks like it's a permissions issue, not a fcp or jpeg issue.

Thanks for your help!

Win

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on May 6, 2010 at 3:50:19 pm

Ha ha. Duh, shoulda thought of that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]