FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX to Pro res

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chema Gomez
XDCAM EX to Pro res
on May 5, 2010 at 6:16:53 pm

Hi there!!

I'm editing a short film that was shot in Sony XDCAM EX 1080p25, The workflow I had take was to import the files with the XDCAM app from the camera to FCP and then set up a project with an easy setup in the same format (XDCAM EX), my sequences are as well in the same codec... The thing is that now someone let me know that if I want to send my sequence to Color after or if I want to add some AF work, It's highly recommended to work with Pro res from the beginning of the project, so my question is.... Could I change all my media to Prores and start a new project keeping the rough cut I have already done?

Thanks for your help

Chema

Chema Gomez
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Apple LED Cinema Display 24''

Return to posts index

Jaap van Hoewijk
Re: XDCAM EX to Pro res
on May 5, 2010 at 6:54:01 pm

Just change the sequence setting of the sequence you are working in cmd+0

Return to posts index

Jaap van Hoewijk
on May 5, 2010 at 6:54:01 pm

Just change the sequence setting of the sequence you are working in cmd+0

Return to posts index

Chema Gomez
on May 5, 2010 at 7:16:48 pm

Hi Jaap

OK!! thanks for the quick response!!! but I think I'm more confused right now!!! Sorry but I don't really understand this codec story.... The thing as I understand it is that when I'm working with certain material, like XDCAM EX... I have to get a sequence of the same material to get the best performance... It's this true? because what you just said to me is that I have to change my sequence settings to Pro res but you did not say anything about the source material that is in XDCAM, so as far as I understand that's mean that I'm working in my project with XDCAM EX footages isn't it?.

Well if that's true then I would like to know what is the story about to send it to Color or AF, Having my sequences in Pro res will mean that Im working with Pro res material?, doesn't matter how the source is?

Please give a bit of light in my editing live!!!

Thanks

Chema Gomez
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 5, 2010 at 8:51:29 pm

Ya, ur source material is in the XDCAM codec.

When you change the sequence settings to ProRes and render - u r then working in the Prorez codec.

Can u recapture straight to prores? That would be the best choice.

Can you send all the clip thru compressor and batch convert to prores b/4 bringing back into FCP - that would be the next best choice.

If you only change the sequence settings and render - everytime you make an edit - it will become unrendered. If your edit is all done, then this won't matter so much.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 5, 2010 at 10:59:08 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "Can [yo]u recapture straight to prores? That would be the best choice."

I think the lady is requesting instruction on how to do that very thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chema Gomez
on May 6, 2010 at 1:06:22 pm

Hi again!!

Thanks Chris for the info but as Dave said It's possible for you to explain me how do I recapture everything again to Pro res? I did not have the media cards as we have been deleted then as we were filming, so if I need then for recapture I think that will be imposible.... isn't it?

The other way you said is send all my files to Compresor and transcode then to Pro res... I understand that little thing but would you be able to explain me how do I reconnet the new Pro res files into my FCP without losing any rough cut I had already done in my Sequences?

I'm in the middle of the offline session so there is a lot of cuts to do still...

Thanks for your help

Chema Gomez
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870

Return to posts index

John Knapich
on May 6, 2010 at 7:58:42 pm

Not sure why you cannot stay in Sony XDcam codec, send finished sequence to Color, then, render from Color to pro res.
That is how I have done it in the past. I keep a saved version of the Final Uncorrected sequence (XDcam) and a Color Corrected version.

FCP 6.06, OS 10.5.8 2x3GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Kona LHe, Dulce Duo-eSATA 8 Drive, 4TB Raid.

John Knapich
Creative Director/Partner
Assembypix.tv

Return to posts index

Reid Caulfield
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:18:48 am

I know this is an older thread, but re suggestion #2 above - in other words, converting all XDCAM material to Pro Res, then re-conforming those new clips to what has already been cut, what's the best way to maintain the editorial work already done?

Reid C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]