FORUMS: list search recent posts

betacam through firewire uncompressed?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Askew
betacam through firewire uncompressed?
on May 5, 2010 at 4:46:20 pm

We have a betacam deck, and we're trying to capture a huge load of beta cam tapes. For a while we were capturing into a Mac Pro using a Black Magic card, but the Mac Pro is not available at the moment, but we need to carry on capturing.

We have a PC , an iMac and a Mac Book at our disposal. We're looking into getting a component to firewire converter, but we'd like to carry on capturing in Apple Pro Res.

Any ideas?

I've tried to get my head around a few converters, but they either seem prohibitively expensive, or don't have the ins/outs we need. Will we need something that outputs over firewire 800 to get an uncompressed signal to our computers? If we capture to Premiere on the PC what's going to be best for converting to Pro Res later?

thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRonde
Re: betacam through firewire uncompressed?
on May 5, 2010 at 5:08:06 pm

Sorry, but it seems that you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. You need a capture card for Betacam, and you need a machine running at least FCP6 for ProRes.

I don't know this for a fact, but I bet Firewire won't support the sustained bit rate necessary to capture ProRes-quality video using Premiere and capturing in AVI. You'd be tossing quality away just to keep going . So you really are stuck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Brian Pitt
on May 5, 2010 at 5:12:02 pm

You can capture to ProRes using firewire if your source video is HDV, but not with Betacam. Like Dave said...you need a capture card. I use a blackmagicSP that works great.

Brian

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Arnie Schlissel
on May 5, 2010 at 5:09:00 pm

Your only real choices are the AJA Io family.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Pale
on May 5, 2010 at 5:10:35 pm

http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-la-ld.php

Looks like the AJA iO LA might be the closest to what you need. No PC support though.

You might want to look at rental rather than buying it.

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on May 6, 2010 at 10:25:11 am

Yeah, the AJA IO La that was only thing I could find that might help, I appreciate everyone's curteous responses, usually when we post questions on here I get shot into the ground with accusations of eco-unfriendly codecs, explotative container formats and sociopathic workflows, I'll have a think.

We may capture it all uncompressed using a black magic card on the PC and convert it to pro res on the mac after.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 9, 2010 at 9:12:41 pm

Checkout eBay. I've seen some excellent deals for AJA SD gear.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]