FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where is ProRes 4444

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Koza
Where is ProRes 4444
on May 5, 2010 at 6:47:15 am

Hi, I've recently upgraded to FCP 7, and I'm working in an XDCAM EX 108030p sequence. I have a graphic that I need to export out to an Avid editor and I need it with an alpha channel. I tried the Animation Million Colors +, but when I try and check it in my system (fcp and motion), there's no alpha. I'm not sure if that's the right way to double check before sending, but yeah, it isn't working.

So anyway, I've read about ProRes 4444, and I go and I try to export out my little clip utilizing it, and the choice isn't there. I have 422 HQ and just 422. Why would it not be there as an option?? Do I need certain requirements in my sequence settings for it to show up? I also just did my software updates, and it's still not showing. Help?!

thanks!

Lisa

Return to posts index

Tom David
Re: Where is ProRes 4444
on May 5, 2010 at 7:40:00 am

Hi there,

Exporting as a quicktime PNG sequence (with alpha turned on, or million+) works for me when exporting logos with alpha channels from AfterEffects into FCP. FCP should recognise the format if created from your AVID also. Good luck.

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 5, 2010 at 4:55:08 pm

[Lisa Koza] "...I have a graphic that I need to export out to an Avid editor and I need it with an alpha channel. I tried the Animation Million Colors +, but when I try and check it in my system... there's no alpha."

If you had to build this graphic in FCP, you might try this: copy & paste the graphic you builti into a new edit timeline, change its codec to Animation, PNG -- anything that normally supports alpha channels -- and try it again.

Now, if you DIDN'T have to build the graphic in FCP, why use it at all? I'd go straight to Motion or After Effects to do what needed to be done. FCP ain't exactly the brightest candle in the chandelier when it comes to this type of work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 6, 2010 at 12:29:12 am

ProRes4444 should be an available codec in FCP7. But it is unlikely that an AVID could read ProRes without downloading codecs and the file would have to be converted for them anyway.

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on May 7, 2010 at 3:06:32 pm

Hi, Thank you all for your help. ProRes 4444 is available on my system as a new project or a new sequence. But I was trying to export out using quicktime conversion, just like I do when I convert to say, H.264, but the 4444 option wasn't there as it's own thing, it IS there under options within the 422 exports however, but the alpha still didn't work. I ended up just sending a million + png.

So I guess it's a wrong workflow to try and change over your format during export? I should first make a new sequence in said codec, and then export as the same? Kinda confusing when it's OK to change over to H.264, or DVCPro, ect, during export. ;-)

Lisa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]