FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mystery .yuv file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Williams
Mystery .yuv file
on May 4, 2010 at 7:27:04 pm

Hello,

I have acquired a series of .yuv files that I need to transcode to MPEG 2. I tried going to Compressor directly and also doing a file import from final cut pro. Neither seem to recognize it.

When I do an "info" on it in the finder it displays as file_name.yuv and the kind as a unix executable. The only information that I have on the files are that they are uncompressed video streams.

Clearly I will need some intermediate tool to enable me to bring into compressor or even identify what I have. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne
Portland Oregon

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
Re: Mystery .yuv file
on May 4, 2010 at 7:34:23 pm

Hi Wayne,

.yuv files are uncompressed 8-bit YUV image files, where each .yuv file is a single frame. There typically is no header of any kind - the height/width are determined by looking at the size of the file on disc.

I believe Shake understands what .yuv files are.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
on May 4, 2010 at 8:11:45 pm

Actually the files are on the order of a Gig each, and we have an instrument, the Tektronix Picture Quality Analyzer 500, that is able to read and analyze these files so I am confident that it is a video stream and that they are HD versus a single frame.

I need to do an experiment that involves transcoding these files to MPEG 2, also I do not have Shake. Any other thoughts on a tool that allows me to bring into Compressor?

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on May 4, 2010 at 8:27:22 pm

Hi,

Sorry can't help then. The only .YUV files I've known about are the .yuv image sequence files. Maybe try to see what software/hardware created the file and then go from that.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
Re: Mystery .yuv file why don't you?
on May 4, 2010 at 8:36:35 pm

Left field suggestion ... why don't you, make a copy of the files and try changing the suffix or the copies to .mov or dot anything you can think of and see if anything will open those copies.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
on May 4, 2010 at 8:52:46 pm

nothing wrong with trying something from left field.

unfortunately it did not work. thanks for the suggestions, i'll keep poking around.

w.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on May 4, 2010 at 9:01:30 pm

Can you make the smallest file available? You can email me via my website ... http://www.beermattonline.co.uk and you could send me a file via pando or some such. 3 heads are better than one.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2010 at 8:59:42 pm

Have you tried this?

http://bax.comlab.uni-rostock.de/en/projekte/glyuvplay.html

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 5, 2010 at 2:18:06 pm

[Wayne Williams] "I have acquired a series of .yuv files that I need to transcode to MPEG 2. I tried going to Compressor directly and also doing a file import from final cut pro. Neither seem to recognize it."

These sound like video files output direct from a Linux system.

try something- change the .YUV name to .MOV and see if you get an 8 bit 2vuy (uncompressed) video file.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]