FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log Transfer on Scratch but not in Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Vee
Log Transfer on Scratch but not in Project
on May 4, 2010 at 1:19:50 am

I logged and transferred 3/4 of my media and got the Spinning Ball so I had to Force Quit. When I reopened project only 4 clips of the 25 showed up in project (I saved often enough). So after nearly fainting, I checked the Scratch disk and all clips are there in .mov files. Do I now have to Import into my project? Are they now considered individual files that no longer have continuous timecode? When I played them as movies they seem self contained? I have 2.66 Quad Core Mac with 650 GB HD--125 G's left and 6 G RAM. Help?
Thanks,
MV

MV

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log Transfer on Scratch but not in Project
on May 4, 2010 at 3:23:14 am

[Michele Vee] "Do I now have to Import into my project?"

Yeah, but that's EASY. Just FILE>IMPORT, or drag from the location into the project. What happened is that the program crashed before the project had a chance to be saved.

[Michele Vee] " Are they now considered individual files that no longer have continuous timecode?"

No...well, yeah...well... They are individual QT files. That's normal. They will have the same timecode as they do on the tape...they will be the same as if the program didn't quit.

[Michele Vee] " When I played them as movies they seem self contained?"

They are. They were separate clips in the project, no? You said you had 25 separate clips...do you not have 25 separate Qt files?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michele Vee
on May 4, 2010 at 2:01:43 pm

Thank you Shane! Everything you said worked. I am a bit worried still re: crash syndrome. I specifically bought a new Mac to "handle" hi rez video import & editing and was shocked that it was laboring so much during two simultaneous tasks: ingesting & playing back so I could log. (Any secrets re: why the J,K,L's don't work during log & transfer?)
Long day after a shoot and then kaboom so thanks much.
MV

MV

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 4, 2010 at 4:30:24 pm

[Michele Vee] " (Any secrets re: why the J,K,L's don't work during log & transfer?) "

It isn't designed to? That's all I know. Yes, it is annoying.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 4, 2010 at 10:39:10 pm

when you say you have 650 Gig left
I'm hoping your are not capturing to your system drive. You have the drive you are capturing to as a separate drive correct?

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Michele Vee
on May 5, 2010 at 12:10:30 am

I used to keep my media on an external drive but when I got the new quad core, Apple FCP guy said that the whole point was to keep the media on system HD so computer wouldn't have to constantly retrieve from external drive which is slower. He said that's why they have the new quad core so you can just add more internal drives 1-2T at a time. Rut Roe...should I not have listened?

MV

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 5, 2010 at 12:39:53 am

[Michele Vee] " Apple FCP guy said that the whole point was to keep the media on system HD so computer wouldn't have to constantly retrieve from external drive which is slower. He said that's why they have the new quad core so you can just add more internal drives 1-2T at a time. Rut Roe...should I not have listened?
"

Michele,

You're using system drive and internal drives interchangeably. You can certainly add 2Tb media drives internally in addition to your system drive, but capturing to the system drive where your applications and the OS are stored is absolutely a no-no.

The reason the Apple guy said the additional internal drives were faster is because he meant faster than external firewire drives, because SATA drives are indeed faster than even single firewire 800 drives. That's the only thing faster about them, there's nothing inherently faster about them because they are internal.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michele Vee
on May 5, 2010 at 2:28:04 am

Yikes shame on Appleman--he specifically said to put the media on those drives because now, "it won't have to go looking for them"...Thanks so much...will get external drives now. Can I move the media and just "reconnect to media"? If I do that, will FCP automatically made a new Scratch folder?

MV

Return to posts index

Michele Vee
on May 5, 2010 at 2:35:47 am

Oh wait, I got it...I should put media on subsequent internal drives (I don't need to buy external drives) and not my main drive. (I only had the 650 G drive when I bought it which is where he said to put the media.) Can I move the media and just "reconnect to media"?
Again, thanks so much for catching this...I asked a million times because it was the first rule I learned to always keep the media on an external drive.

MV

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 5, 2010 at 3:17:24 pm

There ya go
Atttach 1 or more Sata3 drives to the carriers and slide them in, copy, and reconnect

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]