FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for Multi-App editors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Question for Multi-App editors
on May 3, 2010 at 5:17:28 am

I know every NLE'ing talks about mixing codecs and frame rates in the same sequence and I know how well FCP handles stuff like that (as in don't even think about it). So I'm a "fix it before" you start guy. But does any NLE live up to the hype in this area. I know this is something that Vegas has pushed for a while and the new CS5 is pushing it hard. I don't want to start a war here I'm just curious.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Question for Multi-App editors
on May 3, 2010 at 6:16:05 am

Avid 4.0 does a great job mixing frame rates and codecs. Well, Avid codecs, but you can mix DVCPRO HD and various flavors of DNxHD and 720p and 480i and 1080i. Better than FCP by a long shot.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 3, 2010 at 11:05:32 am

Michael,

Adobe has had this as the real deal for some time. It's not smoke and mirrors and it's not just 'adobe' codecs.

Adobe has a resolution independent playback engine that allows a seemless, transparent user experience. It's not just mixing codecs, but also aspect ratios, frame rates and anything else.

Clearly, your experience may vary depending on what you throw at it. However, with the CS5 product and it's performance, there is no better NLE for a mix'n'match type project.

In the CS4 time frame I did a video tutorial on this aspect of Premiere Pro that you may find useful - http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-beginner-classes-with-dennis-radeke/episode...

The trial is also available, but of course, you don't have the benefit of many of the included codecs, but here's the link nonetheless - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=production_premium

Hope this helps,
Dennis

Return to posts index

Mike Sabatini
on May 3, 2010 at 1:25:48 pm

Hi Michael. As a long time Vegas user my experience is it does handle mixed formats and frame rates very well. Some users have problems with AVCHD but that has not been my experience.

Mike

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 3, 2010 at 2:46:54 pm

If all you need is realltime playback on the timeline, than Avid and Adobe are far better than FCP. However, this is just timeline playback, when it comes time to export a file you will need to choose a codec to render to. I don't know of any file format that supports multiple codecs in a self contained file.

For our workflow, no matter how good realtime playback is, if there is significant rendering required to create a file that can be passed onto the next step in the workflow, an Episode Engine cluster in our case, than staying 100% native trumps realtime playback. In a 100% native timeline we can create a 2hr ref movie in a few minutes and send if off to Episode Engine for flattening or conversion.

Another concern I have with the realtime mixed codec playback is: Are there any shortcuts taken as compared to 100% native? This is certainly the case with FCP's limited RT Extreme... what about Avid and Adobe? Any quality benefit to rendering to a playback friendly timeline native codec before final output to tape? I'd imagine Red .r3d footage would look improved post render compared to realtime preview.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 3, 2010 at 11:38:09 pm

Thanks guys, helpful insights and comments.

John, totally agree and I understand we are talking playback viewing and not full quality. But I think FCP is definitely the low man on the totem-pole here. RT playback gets shut down pretty quick. I think I probably should have separated it into 2 questions.

How anything handle RT preview playback of mixed codecs and frame rates. Then dropping delivery codecs like H264 and the like. Not asking SHOULD you do this but CAN you do this. Seems like Vegas and PPro have the lead with this.

Then how well does the export handle frame rate conversion. Especially if you are dropping 60i or 30p footage in a 24p timeline. (this type of conversion I would do in Shake or suggest other heavy lifting apps).

Great video Dennis. CS5 look awesome and I do have the trial version going and will probably get the Production Suite when that expires. Hopefully this will also light a fire under Apple to get all the pro apps to 64 bit as quickly as possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]