FORUMS: list search recent posts

16mm film/ Audio syncing? Timeliine settings?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Green
16mm film/ Audio syncing? Timeliine settings?
on May 2, 2010 at 11:24:03 pm

So, i've got video files from a company that just captured 16mm film to a hardrive for a customer of mine. The footage was saved at 1560x1080 @ 23.98fps (originally 18fps) and the codec is------> Motion JPEG A, Integer (Big Endian), Timecode.
He wants to keep this at the best quality while I am fixing his audio. Problem is he's unhappy with the jumpy/frame skipping quality that you can imagine 18fps used to produce. So now he wants me to slow the speed down so that the people are moving at a natural speed. I warned him that his quality would not stay intact because of the speed change of the video. So, now he has this great looking interlacing happening. Anybody have any pointers that I could use to smooth out the speed but keep the resolution looking good?
Thanks, this is my first time dealing with this type of footage, any suggestions would be great. btw, i'm using a 17inch macbook pro, Final Cut Pro, a 23.98fps sequence with the ProRes 422(HQ).

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 16mm film/ Audio syncing? Timeliine settings?
on May 2, 2010 at 11:51:03 pm

[Wes Green] "So, now he has this great looking interlacing happening."

Wes,

I hate to tell you this, but there's no way you will ever be able to really know about the interlace or the impact is of any framerate changes you are making without a real video monitor and an I/O device to send a proper video signal to it. Computer displays are incapable of properly displaying the information you need for this type of work.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]