FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Audio clicking issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah Miller
FCP Audio clicking issue
on May 2, 2010 at 4:50:18 am

I'm really a very novice user of FCP so this might not be an appropriate forum for me, but I figured I'd try. Thank you for your time reading/responding.

I'm creating a very simple music video-style project. The video has been stripped of its original audio, so all audio is coming from separately imported files, MP4s at 44.1k, and my project is set to accept audio at this rate. Yet when I export my project (using quicktime settings for youtube) I get a strange, very subtle and oddly rhythmic "popping" sound on the long audio track that is not present when this track is played outside of FCP.

Someone suggested converting my files to 48k AIFFs and alter the project settings to the standard 48k, but the same issue occurred.

Since my knowledge is very limited, I'm not even sure where to start while attempting to fix this. Any information/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP Audio clicking issue
on May 2, 2010 at 6:09:41 am

FCP doesn't like sample rates other than 48khz. The audio needs to be converted to aifs @ 48khz as you have had previously recommended.

Did you do that in Compressor or quicktime pro before editing in FCP?

Return to posts index

Hannah Miller
on May 2, 2010 at 6:24:35 am

Michael,

You are absolutely right! I used iTunes to convert quickly from mp4 to aiff. I'm not sure why this issue wasn't fixed the first time I tried it, but after seeing your post, I tried again and am happy to report success--though my project is still set at 41.1k, and all sound samples save the music are at that rate (didn't want to mess with it once it was working, ha!)... but now I know for next time to start with 48k. You're great!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 2, 2010 at 9:04:11 am

If the audio is 48khz, then so should the project settings. If you are nervous about changing that setting, duplicate the sequence and change the dupe. It should mean the files don't need to be rendered.

For future reference, 48khz is mandatory for all broadcast deliverables. The web can be whatever, but FCP was designed to be comfortable with broadcast specs and most cameras will shoot audio at 48khz.

Return to posts index

Santosh Prabhakar
on May 21, 2010 at 7:52:30 pm

Hi Michael

I am encountering some issues with clicks in mp3s as well. They've been recorded at broadcast quality i.e 48 Khz but i still encounter clipping when i edit it in FCP or Soundtrack Pro. Been happening for the last 4-5 days. Haven't encountered this before. And when I convert it into Aiff then the file size becomes huge. A 10 mb file bloated to 500 mb after conversion. Any help will be appreciated.

And on the soundtrack front, Audio files that are long start lagging and it becomes a pain to edit them once the lag begins. Any light thrown here will also be great.

Thanks a lot.

Santosh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]