FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time compress audio - w/out changing pitch

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Habrock
Time compress audio - w/out changing pitch
on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:00:17 pm

Hey all,

I need to sweeten some audio on a project. There is music audible in the dialogue, so I need to keep it, but I want to sweeten it to give it a better sonic quality. I have a version of the music that is in the exact same key, but the timing is off.

The music in the production track is 44 kHz 16-bit audio in a video clip captured at 23.98. The length from first to last note is 00:01:05.12.

My version is a 44 kHz 16-bit AIFF file, in the exact same key, but it is 00:01:08.15 long.

The two songs sound identical to me, so perhaps it is a frame rate issue that makes it not match. Is there a way to convert it to match or perhaps a way to time compress without effecting pitch to make it match the length of the other clip exactly?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Time compress audio - w/out changing pitch
on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:59:47 pm

[Timothy Habrock] "The music in the production track is 44 kHz 16-bit audio in a video clip captured at 23.98. The length from first to last note is 00:01:05.12. My version is a 44 kHz 16-bit AIFF file, in the exact same key, but it is 00:01:08.15 long. "

How are you determining the length of these two pieces of audio? In the timeline? What's its frame rate?

I ask because 12 is half of 24, and 15 is half of 30... are you spottin' a trend here? I think they're the same length.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 30, 2010 at 11:12:10 pm

Firstly convert everything to 48khz. FCP doesn't play well with on the fly sample rate conversion.

Changing length without changing pitch properly requires software not found in FCP or STP. Find someone with either MPEX3 or Pitch N Time. If you calculate the lengths correctly then get the file processed with either of those software packages and replace the original.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 1, 2010 at 4:45:39 pm

Actually if you know the frame count you need to have, STP will shorten or lengthen a track without changing pitch. If it's an extreme change, quality will suffer but for normal pulldown or frame rate issues it's fine.
you need to convert TC to Frame count in order to use it and it needs to be in the editing window not the timeline. Make a copy of the track and use that until you achieve the desired result

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]