FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip vs. Sequence Render Times

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob McDougall
Clip vs. Sequence Render Times
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:36:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm using Log + Capturing to bring in AVCHD. I have a compressor droplet set up to convert 29.97->23.976.

If I drag the 29.97 clip onto a 23.98 sequence and then send the SEQUENCE to compressor, it will render a 2 min clip in around 10 minutes.(without even rendering the sequence).

If I just send the 29.97 clip directly to compressor, Compressor takes around an hour to work through the clip.

What's going on here?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Clip vs. Sequence Render Times
on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:50:59 pm

Compare the results Rob, what do you see?

I believe when you are sending a sequence to Compressor then FCP is sending a progression of rendered frames by one means or another (and no its not "rendering" the sequence such as it would become rendered in the timeline) so what Compressor is receiving is a quick and dirty frame rate converted version of your timeline from FCP ie its already 23.98 when Compressor gets it so theres no temporal conversion to be handled, just a re-compression. When you drop the raw clip onto the same preset directly then Compressor is handling the frame rate conversion ... I would expect the results to be neither quick nor dirty, as thats not what Compressor is about (although you do have a certain degree of control over the quick vs quality tradeoff via the settings you choose).

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]