FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-camera live edit...?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam Holland
Multi-camera live edit...?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:55:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I've started covering some sporting events for our local Roller Derby team and I was wondering if something would be possible.

Can you run multiple live camera feeds into FCP and do a live edit? I know you can do the 'multiclip' feature, which has the same desired effect, but requires that you've pre-shot and uploaded all the footage beforehand.
I'm wondering if it's possible to do it all live?

If it is possible; then how do you do it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Multi-camera live edit...?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:26:41 pm

You mean switch between multiple cams live to create a timeline?
No.
The capture process is always behind the 'real world' due to processing, even if you could. How would you do replays? Stats?
There are portable hardware, and software switcher set-ups, but a small remote truck would really be the way to go if you have the budget. If you want to know more about this get a hold of me, I've done a ton of sports remotes.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:44:26 pm

The closest thing I know of that does what you're asking is one of the Newtek products like the Video Toaster or Tricaster. There are a couple apps for macs that will make them act like live switchers, like Channel Storm LiveChannel, but AFAIK they limit you to one firewire input and one USB input, and they are more for something like a casual webinar than heavy-duty sports use.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:12:07 pm

[Mark Suszko] "The closest thing I know of that does what you're asking is one of the Newtek products like the Video Toaster or Tricaster. "

Yup, that's probably the best cheap way to do it. But before you run out and buy one, take a close look at the specs! I think the only codec Tricaster records to is mpeg2. Ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:32:58 pm

Yes, you can capture live and edit in mulitcam live via Telestream's Pipeline Encoder.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:50:36 pm

Tools on Air
http://www.toolsonair.com/

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:55:53 pm

"Yes, you can capture live and edit in mulitcam live via Telestream's Pipeline Encoder."

I think this would be a great box to take a feed of something, and use it to cut highlights for quick turnaround. Kinda like what Peter Wiggins does on the TDF
10 grand to capture two HD channels at once. Whats the point of trying to switch a two camera show live? I doubt it would be possible to watch the footage come in, do replays, graphs, and mix on the fly with this box and FCP even if you could kludge it together, in a way that it resembled 'live', or 'live to tape'.
You could do a lot more show with a 10 grand budget and a truck. Even 5G's would get you an ok show, with a small truck or a flypack switcher.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:57:15 pm

Yeah, it's not quite the mac version of a toaster, I don't see how you could live switch with them, but on the other hand, these are very interesting apps on their own, and I can think of a couple of practical applications for them, so I'll show our E1 this link tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. Sorry it hasn't really answered the original question, though.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:01:13 am

10 grand to capture two HD channels at once. Whats the point of trying to switch a two camera show live? I doubt it would be possible to watch the footage come in, do replays, graphs, and mix on the fly with this box and FCP even if you could kludge it together, in a way that it resembled 'live', or 'live to tape'.
You could do a lot more show with a 10 grand budget and a truck. Even 5G's would get you an ok show, with a small truck or a flypack switcher.
Scott Sheriff

Well I didn't say it was practical for a single show, I was just answering the question, "Can you do a multicam live?". You can hook several up together and cut live via FCP. To my understanding someone recently cut an Elton John concert with this setup. Checkout the demo on the Pipeline page.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:02:11 am

Devin,
Hey, I'm not hatin' on your Pipeline idea. I think the Pipeline server/recorder box has merit for some uses.
But there is a big difference between cutting live sports and a concert. Concerts follow a script, and are rehearsed. And usually when you cut a play or concert live to tape, you iso all the cameras for use in touching up your live cut in post. In sports you have one chance to get your shot on the air, there is usually more camera's then iso sources, bigger emphasis on graphics, and the switcher live cut isn't often recorded. Typically you would have 6-7 (or more)cams, and a 4 channel EVS playback, multi-channel ESS, DVE and Chyron, and a handfull of utility sources. The whole thing has a completely different dynamic, with the live action mixed with lots of fonts and graphs, iso sources being used in replays, and to grab interviews for quick playback in the show.
So even for something small like roller derby, if you could record just 3 camera's, and manage to get it lined up in FCP, it would be impossible for you to replicate the typical live sports look. There is a lot more going on then just the camera cut.
Even in a regional level sports remote, it's pretty easy to completely use up a 4 bank, 32 input switcher like a Sony DVS 7350, and a 24 channel audio board. So in Final Cut, that would translate to 32 layers of video, and 24 audio. Cut that in half, and its still a lot of sources.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:06:52 pm

Scott,

Thanks for the tutorial, but I work in both live and post productions and very familiar with how the process goes. Just answering Liam's question, besides he never mentioned about needing to ad graphics land the such. As a capture device it is way more cost effective than an EVS system which in my opinion is way over priced and unless your using it for live replay then there are better solutions.

Devin Crane

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 30, 2010 at 5:41:36 pm

"...besides he never mentioned about needing to ad graphics land the such."

Your right.
I guess when someone says they want to "cover" a live sport, it could have different meanings to different people. To me it means something other than a 2 cam dry cut.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Liam Holland
on Apr 30, 2010 at 8:28:39 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I've been looking into what you've all suggested and I'm going to see what kind of budget I can get from them before making my choice.

Thanks again! You've ALL been of great help :-)

-
Liam J. Holland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]