FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raw Files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Spenceley
Raw Files?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:31:47 am

I am going to be editing media shot on a Sony HRX-NX5U which will record onto SDHC cards. Because of the nature of the shoot, and my editing location, the files are going to be downloaded from the SDHC cards every couple of days, and (I am informed by the production company) sent to me on hard drives. I will be editing on a Macbook Pro. The production company have asked me if I want the media in the form of RAW files. What is the answer to this? Also, rather than sent to me on hard drives, couldn't they send me the files on DVDs for me to ingest into the Macbook Pro.

Thanks for any advice.

Palani

Return to posts index

Cole Prine
Re: Raw Files?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:06:56 pm

If you're going to be handling the online edit, and finishing out the project, then you'll probably want the RAW files to make sure you end up with the best quality possible. RAW files are basically uncompressed files. You'll probably have to convert them to a codec that Final Cut can edit. And I'd let them send it on hardrives. That just saves you from having to ingest the footage. You can just work off the drives they send. But be sure to back-up regularly. We all know how easily a drive can crash on you. And make sure they keep a copy of all the footage in case something happens to yours. Another good practice is email the FCP project file to yourself at the end of every day.

Cole Prine

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:24:38 pm

[Cole Prine] "If you're going to be handling the online edit, and finishing out the project, then you'll probably want the RAW files to make sure you end up with the best quality possible. "

For the record
the camera mentioned Sony HRX-NX5U shoots AVCHD which is not considered a Raw format, but that means that you should maintain the recording media's data structure, just like you would with P2 or SxS media.

" RAW files are basically uncompressed files. "

Nope, sorry.

The actual data coming directly off the sensor without conversion (de-mosaicing or de-bayering) is considered RAW and that data is highly compressed when compared to the output of RGB / Y'Cb'Cr' image data. Thats why there are multiple types of RAW formats for both still and video.

IMHO RED's R3D format being the most efficient at sensor compression, when you consider that 4K R3D files that can play in realtime on a single sata drive vs. working in 4K DPX frames that require over 1.25 GIGABYTES PER SECOND.

"But be sure to back-up regularly. We all know how easily a drive can crash on you."

always good advice.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Cole Prine
on Apr 29, 2010 at 7:38:29 pm

I didn't know what forma the camera mentioned shot in. If it shoots in AVCHD, then it should be as easy as a Log and Transfer, right?

And thanks for the clarification on the RAW format.

Cole Prine

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:40:35 am

[Cole Prine] "I didn't know what forma the camera mentioned shot in. If it shoots in AVCHD, then it should be as easy as a Log and Transfer, right? "

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkflo...

Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Peter Spenceley
on Apr 30, 2010 at 11:09:55 am

Thanks for the information. I think I've got it now. However, I read that once you have captured the AVCHD media, (which is what it would be) using log and capture to transcode, you can't then output back to AVCHD. What would you normally output to?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:34:17 pm

[Peter Spenceley] "What would you normally output to?"

AVCHD is a camera codec not a delivery codec.

What does your client need or want for finals? - That is what you need to be delivering.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Peter Spenceley
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:52:32 pm

Hi Gary,

The film will go to online after it leaves me, so I guess I will supply it to the online house with the sequence and media consolidated onto a drive and the audio supplied as an OMFI. It is destined for US broadcast (1080 60i).

Palani

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]