FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about FCP changing sequence settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Luis
question about FCP changing sequence settings
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:00:10 pm

Hi folks,

I'm having some issues here: I always edit content shot in interlaced HD. But when I import these content to FCP timeline and the windows asking "Change sequence settings to match the clip settings" appear, and I click "yes", it recognizes the content as being progressive video, instead of interlaced.

Is it normal to FCP to miss the real clip settings?

The problem with it is I don't always know if the content was shot with upper or lower interlaced.

Hope you can help me, and sorry for the poor english.

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
Re: question about FCP changing sequence settings
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:08:07 pm

You're in PAL I assume.

PAL 1080/25, even though it IS progressive, is treated by FCP and broadcast systems as interlaced, upper field dominant.

Return to posts index

Andre Luis
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:23:15 pm

Hi Aaron, thanks for your reply.

Actually, it is NTSC, 29.97 fps.

Still can't figure out why does it happen.

Here's some snapshots from the setting window and the video preview, maybe it can illustrate better what is going on:

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Apr 28, 2010 at 7:59:32 pm

I see. what happens if you just make a empty sequence that matches your footage and drop clips into that? FCP must be mistaking some metadata.

If I'm reading you correctly - you probably want these settings. It would also help to know what camera you're shooting and in which mode.

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
oops -picture
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:00:40 pm

Return to posts index

Andre Luis
Re: oops -picture
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:13:34 pm

Aaron, if I make the setup as you put on the picture, when I put the footage in the timeline FCP will ask if I want to match the video settings. I click "no" and it'll ask for a preview render. But the video is no longer interlaced in the preview window (like the picture I posted above).

Return to posts index

Andre Luis
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:08:46 pm

what is really happening is that FCP understands these footages were shot in progressive video, but they were shot in interlaced video. Even when I right-click the footage in the FC browser and go to "format", it says "field dominance: none"

Is there some app for mac (outside FCP) which tells you the details on a .mov file?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:15:47 pm

What codec/camera did you shoot with and how is it getting into FCP.It may be as simple as setting the flag on each clip as upper. Try changing the field settings to upper on one clip and dragging it into a new sequence to see if the render bar goes away and the footage plays nicely.

HD 1080 is often in an interlaced form, even if the content was shot progressive. This is commonly referred to as psf. If you are delivering to a broadcaster they will be expecting an interlaced master.

Interlaced HD is upper with all frame rates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]