FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixing a framerate sync mistake!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sally Biasiutti
Fixing a framerate sync mistake!
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:57:16 am

I am editing a music video recently shot on EX3 at 1080p25 (30fps and 50fps)
On the day of the shoot there was some confusion with the playback DAT and they have ended up shooting at 30fps, with the talent singing along to a 25fps version of the track.
Hence once playing back at 25fps in FCP he is singing in slomo...

We have already transfered the footage using XDCam Transfer and no longer have the original BPAV folders anymore.
What's the best way to speed up the footage to sync speed whilst retaining smooth motion and keeping the progressive look?
I have experimented with increasing the speed and it synchs at around 110.25%, but looks juddery, even with frame blending on.
Is there a way I can do a framerate conversion to get it to sync speed?
Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Fixing a framerate sync mistake!
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:19:00 am

Don't change the playback speed of the video... change the playback speed of the audio.

If you need to deliver 25fps do that conversion in the end.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Sally Biasiutti
on Apr 28, 2010 at 5:31:41 pm

Thanks Jerry,
What's the best way to do the conversion at the end?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:45:32 pm

The very best is a hardware standards conversion. If you have a Kona card you could do it to tape, or there are services out there that will do it for you. All are better than using software for the job.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:49:28 pm

Nevermind on the Kona Card... it won't do the frame rate conversion... Terranix is the way to go here. THere are companies with these uber boxes that will do the job. Otherwise, you can do it in compressor in the end.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:24:57 pm

During playback, the Dat was just playing true speed, referencing its sample rate to crystal sync. If the camera was shooting 30fps (29.97?) then the audio when captured as an aif file will sync to the 29.97fps image without any problems as they both are 'real time' and simply replicating what happened on location.

So edit in 29.97 and the audio should sync. Frame rates are not real with digital audio. They reference to sample rates. Timecode can be added but the underlying sync is based around 48khz and true speed in playback.

You should also expect the location people who made the fundamental mistake to contribute to the cost of the Teranex conversion. There are so many posts here about location crews stuffing up frame rates. This is always a problem for post where fixing it gets expensive. It is so simple to get right on location so make them pay and learn.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:53:28 pm

Nice post I sure didn't think of that.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]