FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Cant I "close gap?"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Putman
Why Cant I "close gap?"
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:07:54 pm

No idea whats going on here.
I must have screwed with some setting or changed a preference by accident, but when I right click to "close gap," the option to do so it grayed out.
This has never happened to me before, and it is pretty damn annoying when I am trying to trim down a timeline.

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
Re: Why Cant I "close gap?"
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:14:32 pm

Here is the reason:
close gap
(copy the above two words and paste into the search window)

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
"Voices of Freedom", Special Jury winner for Fall 2008 CINE Awards produced for the High Museum of Art in Atlanta as part of a major exhibition of vintage Civil Rights Movement photographs, "Road To Freedom". Currently on display at The Bronx Museum (through August) after having been on exhibition at the Field Musuem in Chicago, The Skirball Cultural Center in LA and The Smithsonian in DC.

Return to posts index

Brett Putman
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:18:29 pm

ya i know.
it is grayed out there too.
already check that option.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:26:13 pm

You must have something on another video or audio track that is canceling out this option.

If you're trying to Close Gap in the video track but there is audio down below, it won't work for example.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Brett Putman
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:29:41 pm

I dont understand.
I just dropped my clips in the timeline like usual and started doing some basic trimming and cutting to get rid of some excess b-roll.
It was a brand new sequence and I have never had a problem doing it the same way before.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:28:07 pm

make sure there aren't any overlapping audio/video tracks on other layers.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:28:18 am

It is a very frustrating problem that I am constantly running into also. The documentation on this in the FCP docs gives step by step, but doesn't cover problem solving like this. Go to the FCP help menu and type in close gap and read some of the files that come up. I never ran into a problem like this in other 'lower end' editors, so I'm rather baffled why it's an issue as frequently as it is with FCP.

If something is 'blocking' it, try backing the 'right hand' segment, as an example, back to the right, get rid of any transitions, and then try it again.

Alf

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 28, 2010 at 1:51:23 am

What version of FCP are you running? People have reported here recently that they have had problems with FCP 7.0.2 (I think) and closing gaps, so try a search.

Return to posts index

Tony Young
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:32:25 pm

Yes, if you're using FCP 7.02, there seems to be an unfortunate bug. Some of us were discussing in this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1080723

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Apr 28, 2010 at 7:13:05 am

As a work-around you can mark the gap and hit shift x to extract.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:49:10 pm

happened here the other day. As it turned out there was some audio in a track that we didn't notice because it was all the way at the bottom and grayed out because it was muted.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

joe hedge
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:47:36 pm

Have you tried the "Forward Delete" command, I have it mapped to the ampersand button, and it "closes the gap", except of course there has to be something there, not a gap...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]